Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Help!

OK so my dad has been having issues with his 2000 Nissan Maxima... i know this is a GM site but these are pretty much basic question that have to do with any motor... well it started off at about 100K miles on it the valves started pinging so he got a tune up and started using 89 octane and the pinging went away well at about 140K his car started to misfire like crazy, it got soooo bad that the car would just die, it did it during random times not all the time... usually it did it worst when it is cold but would also do it while at running temp... i think the scanner said cyl. three anyways he had his mechanic replace the coil pack seeing how the spark plugs were pretty much new... that didnt work, finally took it to Baker Jackson Nissan cause it was getting really bad... well the replaced 3 spark plugs on the side closest to the firewall, and resealed his valve cover cause it was leaking oil... $800, so a couple days later service engine light comes on, again... "bank 1 too lean" so my friends tell me sounds like it could be a vacuum leak, so i get under the hood start searching, find two hoses that are connected but no clamped... i deleted the codes and now i am just waiting to see what happens... could those hoses be the reason it could be running lean? the car would stutter a lot and rpm's would move up and down... any advice would be great, cause i don't want him to get raped again, my parents are struggling right now and i wanna do what i can to help his car get back on the road runnig right, im your basic backyard mechanic... i suck and diagnosing the problems...
Old 11-10-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could need something simple like a fuel filter or the injectors could need replace/cleaned
Old 11-11-2009, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a shitload of carbon buildup on the exhaust valves that will sometimes cause it to loose compression, that explains the random missfire my friend had the same problem in his nissan, i just ran some upper engine cleaner through the brake booster line. it ran like **** and was smoking alot while i was doing it, but a tank later it was running like new