Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Howdy CTS-V forum, from Las Vegas/Saudi Arabia! (Introduction)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howdy CTS-V forum, from Las Vegas/Saudi Arabia! (Introduction)

Hey everyone! Name's Doug. Kinda migrating over here from the other parts of LS1Tech that I usually peruse. Been lurking here for about a month or so, reading up on peoples rides and the inherent problems associated with the V's from the factory. There are just some damned sexy cars in here.

A little bit about who I am and what I do and whatnot...

Hometown is Las Vegas, NV, but I'm currently overseas in Saudi Arabia on a contract job with the Royal Saudi Air Force as a jet engine mechanic on their F-15's. Spent 6 years in the USAF as a jet engine mechanic on F-15's in Okinawa, Japan and at Nellis AFB in Vegas. Got out in `05. Went in to the Army Reserves in `06 as an intelligence analyst and am currently still in the Reserves (though transferred to inactive so I could take this overseas job).

My current toy is a `99 Camaro SS, 6 speed, black. Nothing really special about it. Just the normal lid, cutout b/s. Still love it though. Third F-Body I've owned. Had a mid-12 sec `93 Trans Am, and a `67 Camaro project before. Also had a `96 DGGM Impala SS at one point. As you can tell, I'm a fairly die hard GM guy. Not because I dislike other brands like Ford... simply because that's all I've ever owned and I'm stubborn and set in my ways.

But... as I slowly creep up on that big three-oh age milestone (29 in Dec), I'm finding myself taking more and more people places with me, and finding how much of a pain in the *** it is to do so with a two door sports car.

Sooooooo, hence my newly discovered obsession with the V's. I want the convenience of a 4 door, but sure as heck don't want to lose the performance. So what better than what's essentially a Z06 Caddy, I say! So this is where i'll be hanging around quite a bit from now on, lurking at the very least anyway. Learning more about the V's and seeing what the pricing is like so I can drop some of this cold hard tax free money on one once I get back from "The Magic Kingdom".

Hope you guys don't mind an F-Body weenie hanging out in here. Look forward to talking to you guys and eventually picking up a V of my very own!

And before someone has a chance to say...
Here's a few. My car, and the engines I get to play with on a daily basis. Sorry no aircraft pics. Only uninstalled engines in the backshop. The Saudi's **** bricks when they see westerners with cameras on the flightline. Some I put captions on since they were sent to friends/family when I first got over here.
Attached Thumbnails Howdy CTS-V forum, from Las Vegas/Saudi Arabia! (Introduction)-99ss.jpg   Howdy CTS-V forum, from Las Vegas/Saudi Arabia! (Introduction)-newge1.jpg   Howdy CTS-V forum, from Las Vegas/Saudi Arabia! (Introduction)-newge3.jpg  
Old 11-12-2009, 05:50 AM
TECH Resident

Hey Man, welcome aboard. The CTS-V is dropping in price more and more each day and I'm sure you can find a nicely modded one for mid to low 20's.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Welcome.
Thank you for you service.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Howdy, good luck with the pursuit of your V, make sure to stay away from the ones with the truck motors (LS2s in '06s and '07s), they are unreliable.
A few comments on your post:
1) Strap one of those engines at work to your current car, you will never be V-envious again
2) In the pic of your car, Saudi Arabia looks a lot like the U.S.
3) watch the tax-free money thing, as I 'think' the IRS has to confirm you have lived outside the country for a minimum of 11 months in a calendar year to be exempt---FAWKING BASTAGES
Old 11-14-2009, 07:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by onebadcad
Howdy, good luck with the pursuit of your V, make sure to stay away from the ones with the truck motors (LS2s in '06s and '07s), they are unreliable.
A few comments on your post:
1) Strap one of those engines at work to your current car, you will never be V-envious again
3) watch the tax-free money thing, as I 'think' the IRS has to confirm you have lived outside the country for a minimum of 11 months in a calendar year to be exempt---FAWKING BASTAGES
They put truck motors in all the vette's? Damn GM! I've been scamed!

Welcome
Old 11-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by onebadcad

1) Yeah, I tried getting them to sell me one. Can't understand why they were so reluctant. Cheapskates.

2) Haha... that picture was right after I bought the car in 2007 and I was mobilized to Ft Benning, GA for about 6 months, then returned to Vegas.

3) I've already done the research in to the tax free thing. I'll qualify with no problems. My contract is for a year with the option to renew. So even if I'm only here for one term, I'll still clear the IRS's 330 day requirement easily. But thanks for looking out!

Thanks for the greetings everyone!