Looking to change career..Looking into an automotive one??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking to change career..Looking into an automotive one??

So I finnaly quit my job as a home security service tech. Reached a earning celing at the family owned company where I worked for 3 years. I have always wanted to go to school to become an auto tech but entered the security field due to a job hook up from a family member. Have looked into going to UTI in June. I am looking for an entry level job close to home untill I complete school.Anyone in the biz have advice.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow. Pretty bold move if you didn't have anything else in the pipline yet. I'm sure you know the job market is pretty tough right now.

Might have been better off waiting until June when you start UTI, but good luck nevertheless.

Sorry for not been able to give any advice you were looking for, though...
Old 11-22-2009, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Dude. Call your work and beg for your job back! NEVER quit a job without another job already set in stone. Automotive industry sucks right now, having an uti education will help, but I sure hope you have a ton of money to hold you over for the next couple yrs at uti. I'm a manager for an oil change shop and I hate it. Money is ok, and I can't find anything better so I'm stuck.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You've got some *****. Job market is to bad to quit anything. And to go into the automotive industry is even worse right now.

Good luck
Old 11-23-2009, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

indeed im still unemployed here...
Old 11-23-2009, 03:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tribaltalon
I sure hope you have a ton of money to hold you over for the next couple yrs at uti. .
UTI is only a 1yr tech school...

and to the OP...UTI is an OK school at best,(well the Houston Campus anyway) I'm a UTI graduate myself and I'm not even doing what I went there for (Collision Repair), Me personally, I should have opted for Wyotech or another simular school... all I'm saying is explore your options in schools for that before you make a decision.....
Old 11-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteZ28
UTI is only a 1yr tech school...

and to the OP...UTI is an OK school at best,(well the Houston Campus anyway) I'm a UTI graduate myself and I'm not even doing what I went there for (Collision Repair), Me personally, I should have opted for Wyotech or another simular school... all I'm saying is explore your options in schools for that before you make a decision.....
If you're into fast cars and motorsports, you should look into the School of Automotive Machinists. We specialize in teaching high performance engine building. And as far as the automotive industry goes, we have employers calling us almost every day wanting to higher our graduates. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions... www.samracing.com
Old 11-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Don't worry guys I am still working part time and I have the bills payed for a while!! Did some research and found that the Dallas Community College has a 2 year peogram. http://www.brookhavencollege.edu/ins...on/automotive/ I think it starts every Aug. I'm waiting for a call back from the advisor. It will be much cheaper than UTI.

Would love to go to SAM, but I have a wife and home Mckinney(30 min. north of Dallas).

I'm not crazy. I just felt that at 30 years old it was time to make a move. I can get by on a entry level job as long as it counts as experience in the industry. I just need to get my foot in the door.Thanks for the advice guys!!