Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What To Do About Y-Pipe Clearance w/LTs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What To Do About Y-Pipe Clearance w/LTs?

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has figured out this issue yet. I have lowering springs on my car and LTs w/a custom y-pipe. I don't want to change the springs back to stock, but I can't keep scraping on everything.

Has anyone figured out a solution to the y-pipe clearance w/a lowered car?

If I have another custom Y made w/smaller pipe maybe? I really don't want to go back to that God awful stock Y.

Help!

Thanks
Old 11-23-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

how bad is it scraping? and if the y-pipe was custom why didn't the shop make it fit like a glove?
Old 11-23-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hlaalu
how bad is it scraping? and if the y-pipe was custom why didn't the shop make it fit like a glove?
They did. But to use 3" pipe there's only so much you can do. I'm convinced they designed our cars without exhaust in mind.

The scraping is bad enough to warrant a thread to ask about solutions. Most speed bumps are out of the question and anything that is a steep incline requires the car to be at an angle to clear it (rather than normal head on).
Old 11-23-2009, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Get a Vette!

Seriously though, you can only do so much to tuck a 3" pipe under there, especially if you're lowered. I'm on Eibach pro-kit's like you, with QTP LT's/ORY. Best you can do is adjust/tuck the exhaust up as high as possible and drive carefully.

I'm surprised how close to the ground it can be, while still barely ever scraping on anything.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Xtreme57
They did. But to use 3" pipe there's only so much you can do. I'm convinced they designed our cars without exhaust in mind.

The scraping is bad enough to warrant a thread to ask about solutions. Most speed bumps are out of the question and anything that is a steep incline requires the car to be at an angle to clear it (rather than normal head on).
yea i feel you. which part of the pipe scrapes the most? i'm guessing the side after the driver's header? what you could do is flatten that part out in a vice to get an extra inch of clearance.

OR, switch to a 2 1/2 y-pipe
Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My custom 3" y has plenty of clearance. I'm lowered on Hotchkis/Koni's. It's that damn Spohn tq arm that hits.