Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help my vibrating C5 after new clutch install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help my vibrating C5 after new clutch install?

I've had several posts about my problem but i figure i'd try to start over and ask some different questions.

I recently installed a DTE strut brace on my 6 spd/3.42 rearend and a new Spec 3+ w/ a SLP flywheel and it had disengagment issses but i put a Tick adj. M/C on it and its fixed that but the still vibrates at 2000-2300 rpms and the vibration feels just like a pinion angle is off of a regular rear wheel drive car. It vibrates when stopped, clutch pushed in or out and at any speed so i think its the clutch assembly not balanced. BTW, the vibration was not there before any of the new parts.
So to prove this i loosened the rods on the rear end thinking it might be this and it still vibrates.
So i'm biting the bullet and taking it all back apart to get the assembly balanced, the problem is now is finding a place to balance it. a couple of pro race shops around here said they can't do it with out the crankshaft being out of the car, well obviously thats not going to happen so what or where do i do now........
....... My question for you is this a common this with new clutch/flywheel installs? I mean being out of balance? Cuz it still is hard to believe that it'd be out of balance but it obviously must be since the vibes weren't there before.

I still have the stock flywheel and I was wondering should I have it resurfaced and install the new spec with it instead of the SLP? Basically to make a long story short I just want it fixed and don't know what to do since getting it balanced around here doesn't seem to be an option now.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions
Old 11-26-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No replies.... that sucks!
Anyway here's a real mind blower, after reading in my GM service manual have you ever heard of the corvettes cranks being externally balanced by the stock flywheel and so when any other flywheel is installed that it will throw the engine out of balance? It says the reason for the special flywheel in the vettes is due to the solid torque tube and rear end setup. I talked to a trusted friend that works in a machine shop and he looked at my stock flywheel and it does have drilled holes and mallory or tungsten slugs installed on the outside of it to balance it and said my stock flywheel isn't bad so he could just machine it flat or just take a .001 or 2 off and that way i could reuse my flywheel and the out of balance issue should be gone in theroy...... makes sense to me, what do you think?

i'm in the middle of taking it all back apart so i can try this idea, if it don't work i'll kill myself lol

have a good Thanksgiving!

Quick Reply: Help my vibrating C5 after new clutch install?