radiator fluid leaking through intake manifold on 96 suburban 5.7 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default radiator fluid leaking through intake manifold on 96 suburban 5.7 4wd

Although I cannot respond I'm looking at buying my buddies parents 96 suburban 4wd they purchased brand spankin new back in the day. It is in prestine condition and fully loaded in and out, looks very close to showroom and i can get it for 1100 no kidding. It has 182 on the clock but they maintained it religiously and have all the service records etc. The only issue with it is as stated it has a leak at the intake manifold where it's leaking rad fluid. Is this a serious concern or what? I will more likely than not slap a newer engine of some sort (6.2 alum, iron 6.0, Ls2???) but not until much further down the line. Just throw me ur opinions on the fix and if its a good buy or not and as alwyas your opinions and comments are greatly appreciated

-Mario
Old 11-27-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's not a bad deal. Just replace the intake gaskets and be done with it. Just mark your distributor and rotor before pulling it. Very easy fix.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Make sure there's no coolant in your oil and also make sure to clean your injectors, intake, and TB while you have it all apart. There is an updated gasket that should prevent this from happening again.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

intake manifold gasket is VERY easy to do on those. just be glad its not a TPI, those suuuuuck.

you can probably stand in the engine bay to do that job

i'd give you a hand if you were in dallas... but since you're not, the best advice i can give, is to make sure you tighten everything back down with a torque wrench in the proper sequence (buy the chiltons manual for that truck). and also, do a good job marking the distributor, and make sure you check/set the timing with a timing light before driving it.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Thanks fella's much appreciated.looks like they are going to give it to their daughter after all anyway.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

check the fitting for the heater hose on the intake. they used to install a plastic fitting at the factory and that would usually brake and leak. u can pick up a metal one at the auto parts for under $20 and you'll take longer cleanin everything than replacing it.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

replace the intake gaskets if it's still leaking after that you may have a cracked head the vortecs are known for that i had one the guy wanted me to do intake gaskets on it replaced them and found out the head was cracked so i replaced the head without pulling the intake back off