Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Horrible noise! Someone PLEASE help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible noise! Someone PLEASE help

Ok guys Ive been having problems with this since the damn day I got done with my LS1 Swap and I for the life of me cant figure this noise out. All that I do know is that its coming from the PASSANGER REAR WHEEL AREA.

So lets go back to June of this year and start from there.

The LS1>V6 swap was near complete and we swapped the rear ends from each car. Put the Ls1 rear end in my car and the guy said something to me about the passanger rear but I cant remember what the hell he said. Something about the wheel moving or not moving when you spin the other wheel. I cant remember which.

So later in september when I took the car home. I was noticing a squeeling noise and kinda like a springy noise coming from that area. Had no idea what it was. So I assumed it was bad breaks so I changed the pads. Sound went away

I moved from Pittsburgh PA to Atlanta GA and drove the 800 miles down in my car. I noticed the sound started to come back RIGHT before I left. But I went anyway. The whole way down I could hear it. So I thought it was the rotor.

Get to georgia. Buy a rotor and change it. Sound goes away until a couple weeks later. There it is again.

So im thinking it could be the caliper. Buy a new caliper. couple weeks later same thing. It comes back

Ive had two random ppl pull up next to me at a red light and tell me my wheel is wobbly going down the road.

Its not the breaks because NOW its so loud that I can hear it while driving down the road. No breaks applied. I only used to hear it when slowing down breaking or not. I cant even discribe the sound but it has to be something in my rear end. IDK WHAT IT IS AND ITS DRIVING ME NUTS
Old 12-04-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

belt axle shaft?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
belt axle shaft?
Could that cause the creaking noise? I mean it sounds plausable because it makes the noise as the wheels rotate but why would the noise go away once the wheel is off and then put back on, Then slowly come back
Old 12-04-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Someone has to know something or have some kinda input
Old 12-04-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just had a bad axle/bearing. It was making some noises at first that I thought were related to the rear brakes. Eventually it sounded bad - metal on metal bad. The good news is checking the axles & axle bearings is pretty easy, just a bit more work compared to changing the oil in the rear. If you open it up and find the axles & bearings look good you can just button it up with new gear oil, no big deal.

Here is a link to the rear FAQ (from the sticky above):
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...r-end-faq.html

Here's a pic of my bad axle. The axles ride directly on the bearings so this should look flat. Notice the dull groove worn into it:

The magnet on the inside of the rear cover will also give you a clue. My magnet told me things were bad :
Old 12-04-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah hell...the magnet always looks like that in a 10 bolt.

As was said above, sounds like either an axle shaft or a caliper issue.

I've got a noisy rear that I have to address during the Christmas break.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rollinna65
Ah hell...the magnet always looks like that in a 10 bolt.

As was said above, sounds like either an axle shaft or a caliper issue.

I've got a noisy rear that I have to address during the Christmas break.
Only reason I believe its not the calpier is because its happened on two different ones.