Old 12-06-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default watts link good for drag racing

I need to know if the watts link hurt or help when drag racing/
Old 12-06-2009, 12:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

watts link is nothing more than a track locator... they both do the same job. the purpose of a watts is mainly for the roadcourse guys that are looking to not have any rollcenter or track centering change that can happen with a panhard design. while the panhard is quite long in the f-body the track centering doesn't change much, the watts will not change at all during suspension travel. if you are doing street/strip duty the standard panhard works just fine and you will see no change in et's by installing a watts. the watts is appealing to the guys that drive on the streets as well as roadcourse/autocross and run at the dragstrip with the same car.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

thank you bro
Old 12-06-2009, 04:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

It's not just to change roll center, in fact I run my RC as near to stock as it gets. What a Watts link does it get rid of the geometry change that is inherent with a PHB.

Anytime the body moves up and down with a PHB, it's also shifting left and right... A watts link stops that. Even on drag cars this happens, think about the car squating when you launch it...... and it often makes a move to the left of right. That isn't helped by the fact that as the suspension compresses the body is moved relative to it.

Do I think that a Watts link will make a killer drag car vs. a PHB? No. Does it hurt you at all? No. Do I think that it can help cars leave a little more straight and track better as the speeds climb? I do because I see it in my car at similar speeds.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-06-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

thank you sam thats what i like, you break it down for even a kid to understand.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After I installed one on my t/a the car seems more planted.Even in a drag race the car is more solid.I wanted my car to be a canyon carver/drag race street car.I don't think I would install one on a drag strip only car,but for an all around car a watts link kicks ***.I would be supprised if you installed one on your car and didn't like it.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i built a killer street car. and bought Eric's Fab 9 with watts. it is bad ***. i lost 4 lbs of wieght going for my aftermarket panhard with brace to this watts set up.

Quick Reply: watts link good for drag racing