Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Glass Mounted Xm Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glass Mounted Xm Antenna

I am considering installing a glass-mounted antenna for my xm tuner on my 2003 Chevy Silverado. A friend told me that the rear window on the Silverado’s have some kind of coating that does not allow these type of antennas to work. Does anyone know anything about this?
Old 12-21-2003, 02:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Their is no "coating" on the rear window. Make sure to kick your friend in the nuts for saying something stupid. The glass mount antenna is huge though I would recommend looking into a regular mount antenna. You can put in on top of the car and no one will ever see it.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would go with the magnetic antenna, on that vehicle we go through the 3rd brake light and mount it about 8 inches above that on the roof.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

When XM first came out they had that 3-4 inch antenna and my dad had it on his Yukon. Then he got a Wrangler and bought a smaller Terk antenna that is like 1/2 an inch thick. He now has a GMC Sierra and ran the wire through the center of the brake light onto the roof. Looks clean and works great. The older XM antenna on the Yukon got destroyed in a car wash (We went through and the wire got caught in the spinning thing. It pulled the antenna all the way to the roof rack and tore the wire off. Then the wire was wraaped in the car wash spool and I had to get it out, pretty embarrasing, but anyway..... )
Old 01-06-2004, 01:01 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

2K, that's good to know, I have the Terk XM antenna that looks like an old pager and I have mounted next to my 3rd brake lite on the roof of my Tahoe.