Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Auburn diff in v6

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auburn diff in v6

Looking to put a posi style diff into my 00 camaro. It seems torsens are no longer made and i would like a brand new unit. What do yall think of the Auburn for my application. I figured its short falls would never be noticed with my power out put (probably no more then bolt ons and will be used for autox and drags on rare occasions). so any thoughts, others recommended?

and i tried searching, but it didnt turn up much.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Teching In

also another question. if i had a diff sitting waiting to be installed, is there anything i need to do to it while it sits (store in some oil or something of the like.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd just get a complete used rear end. That's what I did. Ends up being easier (no worry about setting gears properly) and cheaper.

But if you do want new, I'd get an Eaton before an Auburn, simply because I don't like the clutch design. It wears out, the Eaton is similar to the Torsen in that it is gear driven so no clutches to wear out.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Teching In

which eaton are you talking about? stock from the s10 or another?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Eaton makes a new aftermarket unit to fit the 10 bolts. Never came with them originally but they are available.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

There are three different types of Auburn diffs for the 10 bolt. Each one is fit for a particular purpose and HP such as: street, drag, or circuit race. They are strong and durable and difficult to break. It is a cone type diff and not a clutch type which are less durable. I do not know anyone who had any problems with the Auburn, unless of course the HP was so high that a spool was necessary.

Check Sam Strano's site for different Auburn types. I am certain also if you call him, he will select the correct one to fit your needs. I think he uses an Auburn in his race car. He is a 6x SCCA champion, and I am certain he will steer you straight. Good luck with the build.