Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wont start??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Car wont start??

ok, my car is an 84 t/a with an 02 ls1/t56. it has a speartech harness. my problem is it wont start, I get power to everything (dash lights etc) it just wont crank. I tried push starting and it worked great. the last couple of days ive had to wiggle the colum to get it to start, I tried it this time and it wouldnt work, thats when I push started it, drove it home, and parked it. I checked all my fuses and couldnt find any bad ones. could it be something in the steering colum? ive never had it apart and arent to savy on electrical problems. My key also can be taken out when the car is running if that matters, its always been like that.

any help would be great, its my daily driver and im kinda at a stand still with it.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

It sounds like your ignition switch needs to be adjusted, like the rod that pushes down on it isn't going far enough. Is the column loose or sloppy where it tilts? Sometimes that will do it, or the rack inside may be ready to break, or may have already broken.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
It sounds like your ignition switch needs to be adjusted, like the rod that pushes down on it isn't going far enough. Is the column loose or sloppy where it tilts? Sometimes that will do it, or the rack inside may be ready to break, or may have already broken.
not loose at all, the track? sorry for being such a noob on the electric stuff, what do I need to do to replace it? ive got an 88 parts car at my shop.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

The rack is the part that the lock cylinder moves. The lock cylinder ( the part you put the key into) has a gear on the end that turns and pushes the rack, that has the rod attached to it that pushes the ignition switch (attached to the top of the column under the dash, above the neutral safety switch). I would try dropping the column down to get to the ignition switch, and see if you can start it by manually pushing down on the ignition switch where the rod goes into it.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
The rack is the part that the lock cylinder moves. The lock cylinder ( the part you put the key into) has a gear on the end that turns and pushes the rack, that has the rod attached to it that pushes the ignition switch (attached to the top of the column under the dash, above the neutral safety switch). I would try dropping the column down to get to the ignition switch, and see if you can start it by manually pushing down on the ignition switch where the rod goes into it.
ill definitly try that, doesnt sound to hard, thanks for your help.