General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help - Engine overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help - Engine overheating

Ok so a couple days ago my low coolant light came on (i have a 99 Z28). I added coolant but the light stayed on. Today I was running some errands and my car started to over heat just as i got home. As this was happening i turned on the heater to help alleviate the heat but no hot air came out of the vents. upon inspection of the car there was a big hose unplugged from the bottom of my radiator letting coolant gush out. i reattached the hose and added coolant to specified levels. i let the car cool a bit and started it and let it idle to monitor the temp. It seemed fine and i took it for a quick spin. however, the car started to overheat after just a couple blocks. the low coolant light is still on and the heater still refuses to work. the service engine soon light is also on now. any ideas?

EDIT: also, dont know if this helps, but the temperature seems to kind of spike up and down quite a bit

Last edited by Playr; 12-16-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you bleed the cooling system when you filled it up? What year/engine/etc. do you have?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Teching In

99 ls1. and no i didn't bleed it. just cleaned out the drain tank and accompanying hoses, but did not solve the issue
Old 12-16-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you still have a massive amount of air in the cooling system...
after you reattached the lower radiator hose and topped off the radiator and the overflow tank, there's still going to be air in the system. It will work its way out, just keep checking the radiator level (not the overflow tank) after the car has cooled for a few cycles, and keep topping off the radiator.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Playr
99 ls1. and no i didn't bleed it. just cleaned out the drain tank and accompanying hoses, but did not solve the issue
Very simple.

-Take the radiator cap off when the engine is COLD.
-Top it off. It should be low.
-Start the engine.
-Stand there and wait for the t-stat to open and you SEE the coolant start to flow and the level should drop.
-While you are waiting....rapidly squeeze the upper radiator hose like 20-30 times. That will work the coolant through the system and push the air bubble past the t-stat or it will get coolant to the t-stat and displace the air bubble.
-As soon as you see the coolant in the filler neck start to flow, or the level drops down....IMMEDIATELY top it off.
-Wait for the t-stat to close and the flow will stop.
-Then wait one more time for the t-stat to open to see if the level drops again...if it does top it off.

That should do it. Put the cap on and you're good. Then check it in a couple days to make sure.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:05 AM
Teching In

bled the radiator, everything is working fine now. thanks to both of you