Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Tach output to original gauge question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM Tach output to original gauge question

This is for a 1982 Corvette LS1 conversion using the original tach gauge in my dash and the LS1 PCM tach output.

I plan to hook up to the original tach wiring under the hood, where the small barrel looking tach filter is located. I'll use a pull up resistor to +12V to be sure Im getting a good signal to my tach.

The question is, Do you hook up before the original tach filter and keep it in the circuit or bypass it to remove it from the circuit?

B.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:29 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Leave the original tach filter in there. You don`t necessarily need the pull up circuit if you have a 99-02 PCM I have not had to run one yet, seemed like some people who had newer PCM`s were the ones who needed it.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting that you have not needed the pull up. I saw the S&P 82 Corvette LS3 vid (Bob Womack sp?), where they used the tach Dakota adapter and needed the pull up. Maybe the PCM is giving a better pulse strength ??

Fun stuff
Old 12-18-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MN-Brent
Thanks for the reply.

Interesting that you have not needed the pull up. I saw the S&P 82 Corvette LS3 vid (Bob Womack sp?), where they used the tach Dakota adapter and needed the pull up. Maybe the PCM is giving a better pulse strength ??

Fun stuff
I'm using a Dakota Digital converter with a factory ford 6 cyl tach. Granted this is a ford, but I didn't change a thing, I just wired directly to the tach and all was well. Their documentation is quite thorough and doesn't mention needing anything like that so I can't see how you will.

HTH

Quick Reply: PCM Tach output to original gauge question