Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment Specs

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Specs

So...based on my searching, when I took my '00 Z28 to the dealership for an alignment after all the new pieces, I asked for the following specs.

Camber -.5
Caster +4 to 5
Toe 0

I just got a call from the service writer who said that my car is done, but that the tech couldn't get the caster on one side within those specs. Apparently he set one side to +4.6, but the other side could only get +3.7.

My question:

With this car as a daily driver, and the possibility of occasional tracktime in the future, is this acceptable? I would have thought that the tech should have put both sides the same, even if one side was a little shy of the requested setting.

Should I accept the car as-is or make them correct the adjustment?
Old 12-18-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It depends on which side has more caster. Usually, you crank in a half degree or so more on the passenger side, to compensate for road crown, so the car will track "straight". From what you're indicating, there's almost 1 full degree more, which might cause the car to "pull" to the side with more caster.

On my '96, I'm running:

Camber.......0* both sides
Caster........+ 5.0* left, +5.5* right
Toe-in........0.04* each side (that equates to about 0.050" total to-in)
Old 12-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to pick up the car since I was heading out of town for the holidays (in a different vehicle). The actual caster specs from the printout are +3.5 left and +4.6 right. The car drove nice and tracked straight, but if it could be better I would have them correct it when I get back.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same caster issue with a recent alignment, except my alignment sheet shows left caster at +4.7, and the right at +3.2. I'm still perplexed as to why so much cross-caster (car was never hit, wheels are in excellent shape, avoided most potholes, never hit big potholes). But since the car drives great and tracks straight (drifted to the left before the alignment), I'm gonna ignore my alignment sheet for now.

I guess sometimes you gotta pay more attention to how the car drives, and a little less attention to the alignment sheet.

Quick Reply: Alignment Specs