Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car seems to have lost a couple cylinders...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My car seems to have lost a couple cylinders...

So I go to town to ride around in my 02 ss 6 speed and mess with a couple GrannyTurds and go run my car through the car wash so I can look good kickin their asses....well I get the automatic wash and it has a undercarriage spray...long story short....about 20 minutes later after casual cruising through town...it all the sudden starts vibrating and making my Y-pipe hit my driver side sfc...I pull over without a flashlight of course...and check all but the back plug wire cuz I can't get to it or see it...but it's not smoking or dying...just sounds like it lost a couple cylinders...doesn't knock or anything just seems to be missing terribly...I limped it 25 miles back to my house and it vibrates super bad off idle and smoothes out a good enough to drive...I just got this damn thing so if I've really f'd it up I'm gonna be pissed...let me know if you guys need any more info

I'm thinking something electrical...bad plug or wire...coilpacks...cam position sensor????

Any help would be super awesome!!
Old 12-18-2009, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the ses light on?
Old 12-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

Yea..it's been on but only threw some o2 codes...figured it was not turned off with the headers and tune...I got the car that way
Old 12-19-2009, 03:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check those o2 codes. If it's one or both of the front o2's then that's your problem. The rear o2's just mainly montior the cats and making sure they are working right, I maybe wrong about that. Now the front o2's do all the work. I had a front o2 going out on me and I will tell you what. My car started running like s*it. I know I heard people saying have you ever had an o2 go out on your car, I was like yea but that was the rear one's not the front one's. Check the code and see if it's the front one and if it is replace it. Disconnect the battery for about 15 after that drive it around for a couple of days or a week and the code should be gone. But also zip tie those wires at the protective rubber ends and zip tie them up to something or to other wires that sit up higher so they won't get water damage or it decreases the chances of cutting a wire by something you may run over on the road.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thewholefnshow1
The rear o2's just mainly montior the cats and making sure they are working right, I maybe wrong about that. Now the front o2's do all the work.
Your right, thats the ONLY thing the rear O2s do...
Old 12-19-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

jeff we didnt think of that. I think thewholefnshow1 is on to something. maybe when you went through the wash, the undercarriage sprayer might have moved ur o2 wire and it might have gotten too close to the headers or something. pull it up on your ramps and check it out
Old 12-19-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

and go get that scanner
Old 12-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

So I get out there to tinkering and wiggling stuff in the daytime while the motor's cool...turns out the rearmost driver's side plug wire was barely hanging on and when I took it off it seems to have red powder in there like rust...and the tip of the plug looks pretty bad...didn't pull the plug yet and no matter what I do I can't get that wire to snap onto a plug...I'm thinking a bad wire (they are MSD and red and gray if that helps)...you guys think that could be it? I took the wire off and the problem didn't seem to change at all
Old 12-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Wasn't a bad wire like I thought..at least not that one...anyway...Ran the codes...got P1133, P1153, P0430 and a P0430 that said pending??

Can anybody decipher these?