Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Verifying a header's primary diameter

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Verifying a header's primary diameter

Hey guys, a couple of months ago i bought a beautiful used set of what i was told were Kooks 1 3/4" race style LT's (non stepped).

The passenger side install was a breeze and the driver side was a real bitch. (I had thought that Kook's design was to be real easy on both sides...and this wasn't my first set of headers to install, either)

Last night a few of the guys and i were talking at Bob's big boy and joked that maybe the headers were tougher to get in since the primaries were bigger. (the difference from 1 3/4" to 1 7/8th's isn't too drastic so I doubted it)

Then one guy (hitmanws7) looked on Kook's website and said kooks didn't make a 1 3/4 "race style' (no AIR provisions). We then went and looked at our cars. I think they looked similar to my friends 1 3/4" Hookers, but he swears mine look bigger. This all sparked the debate....how do we measure the diameter of a primary? Is it the I.D. of the primary or the O.D.?

I figured I could wrap a shoe lace around the primary, mark it and then measure it for the size, but I dont know what the O.D. should be.

Anyone out there got an idea? Maybe some sponsers who sell them?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Sommer86; 12-19-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Launching!

99% sure its inside diameter. The outside diameter might be different depending on the brands because some might use a different gauge tubing.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

x2^^^ inside diameter. Different vendors use diffferent size tubing thickness so i doubt you can figure it out that way.. I know how... remove the DRIVER side header and check the inside diameter..lol!

Jk... I had problems installing my kooks but after they slipped in they had great overall clearance and mine are 1 7/8.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
x2^^^ inside diameter. Different vendors use diffferent size tubing thickness so i doubt you can figure it out that way.. I know how... remove the DRIVER side header and check the inside diameter..lol!

Jk... I had problems installing my kooks but after they slipped in they had great overall clearance and mine are 1 7/8.
I believe that larger header diameter headers would be harder to install, atleast in my z06. These 1 3/4 ARHs were an extremely tight fit on the driver side from the top. Would have had to jack the car up higher ( no lift ) to get it in from the bottom if they were even a hair larger.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dgcustomz

My Kook's have amazing clearance now that they're in....and that #8 plug is EASY to get at from the top! Thanks Kooks! lol.

Originally Posted by VeTTeMaNC486
I believe that larger header diameter headers would be harder to install, atleast in my z06. These 1 3/4 ARHs were an extremely tight fit on the driver side from the top. Would have had to jack the car up higher ( no lift ) to get it in from the bottom if they were even a hair larger.
Mine wouldn't go in from the top... but close. They had to go in from the bottom. We had to disconnect the steering knuckle, bang the firewall, and the heat shield, remove the oil filter, and notch the K.....all for a set of friggin headers. And now I'm gonna be pissed if I've got 1 7/8th, lol.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Can anyone with Kooks 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" measure the O.D. of their primaries for me, please?
Old 12-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE
Mine wouldn't go in from the top... but close. They had to go in from the bottom. We had to disconnect the steering knuckle, bang the firewall, and the heat shield, remove the oil filter, and notch the K.....all for a set of friggin headers. And now I'm gonna be pissed if I've got 1 7/8th, lol.
I should really put this somewhere that people can easily find it

https://ls1tech.com/forums/11596564-post4.html
Old 12-20-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I should really put this somewhere that people can easily find it

https://ls1tech.com/forums/11596564-post4.html
D'oh!!

What can I do to sweet talk you into measuring the O.D. of one of your primaries?
Old 12-21-2009, 01:19 AM
Launching!

Leave the 1-7/8's on, why would you prefer 1-3/4?????? I have 1-7/8 hooker super comps and theyre badass.....
Old 12-21-2009, 01:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JJsQwuik
Leave the 1-7/8's on, why would you prefer 1-3/4?????? I have 1-7/8 hooker super comps and theyre badass.....
lol, I wouldn't take them off. I'd just be pissed if the 1 3/4 ones were easier to install, lol. Either way, I'm fine, I'd just like to definately know what i've got.

Are your super comps stepped?
Old 12-21-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol, I wouldn't take them off. I'd just be pissed if the 1 3/4 ones were easier to install, lol. Either way, I'm fine, I'd just like to definately know what i've got.

Mike I take what I told you back, apparently Kooks makes both a 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 Race header. I just checked their site. but to be sure have someone with 1 7/8 measure their diameter
Old 12-21-2009, 01:56 AM
TECH Addict

Weird. I looked on their site earlier but I didn't see anything about race style or non stepped with pictures for me to check mine against. Oh well. So who's got a set of Kook's 1-7/8's race style headers in the Los Angeles area I can look at?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

D'oh!!

What can I do to sweet talk you into measuring the O.D. of one of your primaries?
I'll check back later today...if you don't have an answer by then, I'll see what I can do. For right now, the car is put up for the winter, so it is under a cover right now. I might be able to get a measurement from the bottom though since it is up in the air. Just kinda hard for me to do while I'm at work
Old 12-21-2009, 09:24 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I've always seen and measured header primaries by their outside diameter. I've verified this on pretty much every LSx header manufacturer including Kooks.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Launching!

NOPE, but the driver side was hader to put on than the passenger side i had to remove that little oil bypass/tube thingy on top of the oil filter to get the headers to go in ......
Old 12-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

According to my digital calipers, the outside of the primaries on my Kooks 1-7/8" headers is around 1.88"-1.90" - since 7/8" = .875", that sounds about right.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Teching In

I've got the same headers, Kooks 1 3/4" race style no EGR no AIR. I measured mine before I put them on, inside to inside was 1 3/4". Maybe you could measure the circumference, mine were 5 9/16".

Also my driver side install was a Pain, I had to take off the oil filter and finagle the header around until it slipped in (from the bottom).
Old 12-22-2009, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
I've always seen and measured header primaries by their outside diameter. I've verified this on pretty much every LSx header manufacturer including Kooks.
Any idea what that number should be? on a 1-3/4 and on a 1-7/8?

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
According to my digital calipers, the outside of the primaries on my Kooks 1-7/8" headers is around 1.88"-1.90" - since 7/8" = .875", that sounds about right.
Thank you sir, I'll check mine tomorrow. I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by GoldenFlame
I've got the same headers, Kooks 1 3/4" race style no EGR no AIR. I measured mine before I put them on, inside to inside was 1 3/4". Maybe you could measure the circumference, mine were 5 9/16".

Also my driver side install was a pain, I had to take off the oil filter and finagle the header around until it slipped in (from the bottom).
Thank you too! ^^ Is that the outside circumference of the primary? Man, for an "easy install header" it sure was a pain in my ***. It seems my friends' Hookers have been the easiest to install on an LS1.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:19 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Any idea what that number should be? on a 1-3/4 and on a 1-7/8?
On 1 3/4" that'd come to about 1.75", for 1 7/8" it's 1.875".

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Is that the outside circumference of the primary?
Yep, that's the outside circumference.

Quick Reply: Verifying a header's primary diameter