General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Light smell by the rear of car

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light smell by the rear of car

There's a very light burning smell coming from the back end by the tires first thought that came to my head was my brake pads need changing. I was able to look around a little before I had to clock in for work but couldn't really tell if they were bad or not. Now my question is if they are worn out would there be a burning smell? You can't really smell it until you get down on the ground right next to my rear wheel. Also that came to mind is how often should the rear diff fluid be changed?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok wen and checked the car again and the pads are fine. A lot of meat left and not even close to the warning tabs on the pad. I could also smell the smell more inside the car and I'm getting pretty nervouse now. I did have my heater on this morning so today I will drive home with it off and see if the smell goes away. The car runs aroun 180-195 so I know it wasn't over heating. I'm very confused now. I would still like to know about the diff fluid though. Thanks
Old 12-21-2009, 01:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you done anything to the exhaust lately? Any time you install a new exhaust it always has a funky smell for a few weeks, probably a combination of the oils on the pipes themselves and the muffler packing burning up. I would also check to make sure nothing has spilled on the exhaust, possibly you ran over some tar, paint, etc.