Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Issues...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Issues...

I've got a 2004 GTO. I recently put in a zoom clutch, SS braided lines with the remote bleeder along with a new Slave.

Car was fine for the first 1500 or so miles and engagement was half way up. Went to the track, made several passes and everything was great. Drove it for about another 2 weeks and the engagement got closer and closer to the floor and is now at the floor. Driving around town it's difficult to shift and any kind of spirited driving, forget about it. I've tried bleeding the fluid with no improvement whatsoever. The clutch isn't fully disengaging. I can put it in first, hold the clutch down, rev and the car starts to roll. The pedal is a little bit stiffer than stock and I have no complaints about it. The slave is also not leaking. I just don't understand how it was fine at first and now it grabs at the floor. I already know about the Tick MC and I don't have the money right now for it because of the holidays, maybe in the near future though. Asides from that, Ive heard of guys shimming the slave cylinder to cure this issue. Do you guys think I should do this, at least until I can buy the Tick MC?

Thank in advace,
Alex
Old 12-20-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go with a Tick and be done. I just put a monster level 3, new slave flywheel and tick master with remote bleeder. It fixed my grinding problems and pedal inconsistency. I have a 99 z28
Old 12-26-2009, 02:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2TheFloor
I've got a 2004 GTO. I recently put in a zoom clutch, SS braided lines with the remote bleeder along with a new Slave.

Car was fine for the first 1500 or so miles and engagement was half way up. Went to the track, made several passes and everything was great. Drove it for about another 2 weeks and the engagement got closer and closer to the floor and is now at the floor. Driving around town it's difficult to shift and any kind of spirited driving, forget about it. I've tried bleeding the fluid with no improvement whatsoever. The clutch isn't fully disengaging. I can put it in first, hold the clutch down, rev and the car starts to roll. The pedal is a little bit stiffer than stock and I have no complaints about it. The slave is also not leaking. I just don't understand how it was fine at first and now it grabs at the floor. I already know about the Tick MC and I don't have the money right now for it because of the holidays, maybe in the near future though. Asides from that, Ive heard of guys shimming the slave cylinder to cure this issue. Do you guys think I should do this, at least until I can buy the Tick MC?

Thank in advace,
Alex
I just put in another one of their twins.. Which do you have and did it release half way when new? I have mine at the floor and it does not release.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could try the stock adjustable master cyl. and see if that helps.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...r-writeup.html
Old 01-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Teching In

So I pulled the tranny and found that the pressure plate bolts had come loose. Which kinda bothers me because I torqued the bolts properly when putting the clutch in. Put some threadlock on this time and re-torqued the bolts. Put it all back together, bled the clutch and it drove fine. Been driving fine for a week now. Clutch engages just past half way now.

Originally Posted by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT
I just put in another one of their twins.. Which do you have and did it release half way when new? I have mine at the floor and it does not release.
I just have a stock replacement.

Originally Posted by stoverz28
You could try the stock adjustable master cyl. and see if that helps.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...r-writeup.html
Thank you, I will definitely look into that.