Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Real quick hobbs switch question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real quick hobbs switch question

I have searched but couldnt find the answer i was looking for so i just thought someone could answer this for me real quick. What exactly does a hobbs switch do? From what ive read sounds like when running 2 fuel pumps, as soon as you roll into the throttle the switch (at the psi you have it set at) will kick the other pump on? Now i have a fuel pressure safety switch, is this the same thing? Damn i feel like a newbie asking questions like this.

thanks

josh
Old 12-26-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

As far as I know you put the hobbs switch on the charge pipe so when you go over x amount of psi(of boost) it will trigger the second pump just like a relay does.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:48 PM
12 Second Club

a hobbs switch uses a vacuum reference. they arent the same. the hobbs switch i have is adjustable from2-5psi to switch on. a fuel safety switch cant see boost
Old 12-27-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jomomma
a hobbs switch uses a vacuum reference. they arent the same. the hobbs switch i have is adjustable from2-5psi to switch on. a fuel safety switch cant see boost

A fuel safety switch does see boost(fuel pressure). Both a hobbs switch and fuel pressure safety switch work the same way. They come either normally open or normally closed. When they reach the set amount of pressure they switch and do the opposite.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Ok that makes more sense. So lets say for example i set my switch to 1psi, this will kick the other pump on as soon as it see's that amount of boost? I read somewere about a different kind of switch that allowed use for boost controller, and some other goodies? Does it matter where on the charge pipe its mounted at, pics would be nice also.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bottlefed370
Ok that makes more sense. So lets say for example i set my switch to 1psi, this will kick the other pump on as soon as it see's that amount of boost? I read somewere about a different kind of switch that allowed use for boost controller, and some other goodies? Does it matter where on the charge pipe its mounted at, pics would be nice also.
Yes it will either open or close the contacts of the switch at the set amount. It does not matter where you put it just as long as it will see the pressure.

Quick Reply: Real quick hobbs switch question