General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

i think i am in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy i think i am in trouble

guys today my Z28 temp go hi above the middle line, after checking the coolant it was very low??where dose the coolant go?i fill it again and the engine was running and the coolant reach the top of the radiator my uncle notice that the water was move like bubbles,,,he said maybe you have blown head gasket, i back home and its low again,please help,

Note:this is the third week for my Z28 in the last week i noticed the second fan always running after 3 to 4 minuts after starting the engine i hear it.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does the temperature go high every time you run it?

check the coolant overflow tube for the missing coolant. if your thermostat is sticking shut, the car will run way too hot and the coolant will be forced out to the overflow. this would also explain why the fans are always running. the thermostat isn't opening so the coolant can't circulate and and do its job, so the fans just keep running to try to cool it off.

after letting the car sit for 4 or 5 hours, fill the radiator all the way back up (make sure the heat in the car is on). start it and let it run with the radiator cap off until it reaches operating temp. watch the level of the coolant. if the fans come on before the level drops a few inches (which happens when the thermostat opens), then you know that the thermostat isn't working. cheap fix, $30 or so plus coolant.

also look for water leaking out of the bottom of the waterpump. could be that. if you're worried it's a head gasket, change the oil and see if there's coolant in it.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ali pontiac
guys today my Z28 temp go hi above the middle line, after checking the coolant it was very low??where dose the coolant go?i fill it again and the engine was running and the coolant reach the top of the radiator my uncle notice that the water was move like bubbles,,,he said maybe you have blown head gasket, i back home and its low again,please help,

Note:this is the third week for my Z28 in the last week i noticed the second fan always running after 3 to 4 minuts after starting the engine i hear it.
What year is the car? If its a 1997+ LSx BOTH fans should always come on together...and they should also operate in low and high settings together. LT1's are different.

You probably ran it low and then when you filled it back up you just had air in the system that was purging itself. If the bubbles are really big and bubbling up non-stop like a broken air hose is inside the radiator, that could be a blown head gasket........if not its probably just time for a new radiator cap.

A blown gasket pushing air into the cooling system will usually cause your over-flow tank to fill up to the top and start over-flowing. If its a bad cap it'll steam out slowly while you are driving until it reaches that critical point....then it'll over heat in minutes.

Go get a $4.00 Stant cap and check that first. I started running low on coolant where mine would start to overheat like 3 weeks ago. It would drain out where I couldn't see coolant in the radiator, it was that low, this happened in just 30 miles. I got a new cap and its perfect again.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"the water was move like bubbles,,," when you add to the radiator it is going to bubble to get the air out... you should check your coolant level at your overflow bottle, not from your radiator. if you check your radiator, it may appear low, but is just fine. You may be adding coolant for no reason... than boiling out into your overflow, cooling down, than adding more ect...

Last edited by 98pontiac; 12-28-2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: add info