Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question how to convert a 00v6 camaro to ls1

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question how to convert a 00v6 camaro to ls1

can anyone give me a detailed list of what i am gonna need to convert my v6 to a ls1 please
Old 12-28-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

do a search man, tons of info on this already
Old 12-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Cant be done...................

K-member/motor mounts/rack and steering shaft/exhaust/wiring harness/gauge cluster/fuel system-possibly tank/radiator and fans/

Seriously, spend a little time and do some searching.......... I spent a lot of time on here reading before I did mine............
Good luck........... and get ready to get the checkbook/plastic out, cheaper to buy a V8 car to start with---
Old 12-28-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 what he said. Sell your V-6 car and buy a proper V8 equipped one. You will spend less money and will have a car that will hold it's value better.

I love the LS swaps as much as anyone, but sometimes there are better options.

Pat
Old 12-29-2009, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

+1 for blk96406 and Stu Cool again...

Why even waste the time? If you are doing something no one makes then go for it. Honestly a few days searching your favorite car adverts will net a clean toy for less than the cost of your current car plus parts, labor and time to do it right.

I just did a QUICK and dirty search for under $10K within 30 miles of my zip code and netted 5. Some were autos, others were manuals and the highest priced was a low mile vert for $9999.

Sell your car, take the $ and some piggy bank change and buy the car you really want instead of cutting up a (I assume) good running car.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sometimes it isn't about easy or the money but more about the car. Anyway I just bought a TA and got a good deal. I had to look and be patient tho which was hard. There were a lot I just wanted to jump on. If you are going to do it anyway I would find a donor car and do it that way. Of course you will need one in good enough condition otherwise you will have another waste on your hands. Dude if you are attached to the car that much find a donor. If not find yourself an f-body that already has what you want. That's what I did. Still can't part with the v6 for some reason tho.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Launching!

I by no means am trying to talk anyone out of it, just be prepared to drop some coin and quit bein LAZY and not utilizing the search function. Ive seen quite a few posts on here since I joined this board asking this same question. There is ALOT of info on here, and some pretty knowledgeable members that are more than willing to help you out if you get hung up on something-

The reasons I did mine the way I did is because:
1) It was exaclty what I wanted for the "car to be"- black on cloth ebony, auto, low mileage- a foreign chic owned it, non-smoker and CLEAN......(not her, the car- but thats another story!!!! hahahahaha)
2) When I was reading/searching on here, I already knew I wanted a 90% toy w/the once a month "cruise" into Hooters or something, and that the LS1/4l60 wouldnt be in there long anyways. And being my first 4th gen, I figured what better way to "learn" my car, and its a hobby, I DONT need it as a DD or anything else to rush me or worry about getting to work with it Monday, and with as much work that goes into the "swap", there really isnt a nut/bolt or wiring harness that you dont touch.
3) The stubborn part of me was like "no way can it be that different or that much work, Ill prove everyone on 'ole LS1tech wrong............." Well, I didnt- the bolt on of parts is very straight forward and simple, its the wiring end of things that Ive had the most trouble with, but learned the most. The overall build has been pretty much on track, and hasnt taken any major re-design turns, but its a sickness that we all have I guess, and thats the "where do you stop sickness........ If I do this, it effects 1,2,3,10 other things so they have to be addressed, so I might as well just do this....." Thats where the coin part of it comes into play for me.......

Good luck if you decide to do it, Ive enjoyed putting mine together, hopefully I can get the wiring end of things finished up here in the next month or so and be ready to have it out first thing this spring.......
Sorry for the long, drawn out post...............

Last edited by blk96406; 12-29-2009 at 08:37 PM.

Quick Reply: question how to convert a 00v6 camaro to ls1