Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vortech Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech Questions

Hey guys, just picked up a Vortech tuner kit for dirt cheap brand new still all boxed up from Vortech for $2,400 bucks. It is the base system (5-6psi) and have a few questions. I am planning on either mocking up some sort of intercooler deal, buying a used Powercooler or just spraying it with meth as I plan to swap the pulley/drive belt hoping to see 8-9 psi.

Questions 98 TA

1. Since I have Pacesetter Long Tubes, 3" True Duals, and LS6 intake, ported TB and MAF, etc.. I have heard I would need about a 2.95" pulley/belt to see 8-9psi because the system will have much less backpressure, is this correct? Also, any suggestions (part numbers preferably) were I could pick up the belt/pulley. (Vortech is outrageous with their pricing)

2. Anyone want to part out or sell their complete Vortech Powercooler kit?

3. I have seen a few guys on our site running horizontal front mount intercoolers. Are these effective keeping down the IATS? (Don't want to cut up my T/A's front bumper) Also, anyone ever use Treadstone intercoolers? I know CX racing sells them dirt cheap but they are probably crap.

4. Since I am planning on going no higher than 8-9 psi could I just buy a decent meth kit and forget about the intercooler? Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like it would provide a similar cooling effect as an air to air, or air to water intercooler. (I only drive the car about 400miles a year and live in Ohio) I know Snow Performance, Alc. Inj. Systems, Cooling Mist all offer decent kits. **I really would like to go this route (ease of installation)

5. Also, obviously I'm going to need to update the clutch, should've done it awhile ago, but has anyone used the Spec 3 (not the 3+) I'm not going to make outrageous h.p and torque here, this a weekend street car and I think the Spec 3 would be sutiable. Anyone use them on their street ride?

6. Finally, does anyone know of a good tuner I could bring the car to after I finish my install? (Anywhere around the Youngstown and Akron Ohio area)

Sorry its so long, just trying to figure out what route to go with the cooling system before my install this coming spring. THANKS guys.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good IC is the cake - meth is the frosting. Design in the IC from the start and use meth as insurance against detonation and you will be happier in the long run. This will become particularly clear when you decide to raise the boost later.

The Vortech pullies are available from a number of vendors but only about ~15% off Vortech's price. PM me and I'll tell you who I've used.

Jim
Old 12-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Powercooler?

Hey guys, i've done a little research and have found a few LT1 Powercooler kits out there for reasonable costs. Has anyone mocked one of these kits up for their V9 G-Trims? The kit contents look identical and with some custom piping it appears I could make it work.. Any input would be great thanks!

Quick Reply: Vortech Questions