Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust??

Hello,

I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to the exhaust set up on these cars. I noticed that the cats are in a weird position. I'm wanting to run headers on my car but I live in a state that inspects for the cats. How are you guys running headers with a Y pipe and still getting away with these inpections? Is there a way where I can run headers that bolt to the factory set up? I am certain that I will be getting Magnaflow in the back. I'm just not sure how to go about the front. Also if you are eliminating the cats doesn't your SES light come on. I would rather not have that on if all possible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

I am fairly new on here compared to other members. Let me give this a shot, if I am wrong someone else is more than welcome to correct me. You can run shorty headers that mate up to your stock y, but you gains will be minimal for the price you pay. To get the most bang for your buck, you want to get long tubes with a matching catted ypipe to pass inspection. I don't think you SES light comes on from a lack of cats, I believe it has to do with the EGR and O2 sensor. You can get long tubes with EGR and O2 bungs or you can go without and get it tuned out of your system. Check out the stickies above about exhaust, there is a lot of helpful info in there. Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

despite having cats on an aftermarket ypipe, it can still throw a code because the levels of whatever will not be normal... like the highflo cats and such will probably at some point throw a code... as far as the SES light, get it tuned out
as far as i kno there ARE shorties that will mate up to the stock system/catback, but if you're getting a magnflow anyways, why worry about that
get LTs, some hiflo cats, whatever catback you desire, then get the SES lights tuned out

hope my 2cents helped a bit... i'm sure someone more knowledgable will chime in soon
Old 01-03-2010, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are cats? and who needs them!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys for all the helpful info. Yeah I think I'm going to go with the long tubes with the Catted Y and just getting the light turned off. I saw LPP has a really nice set up but kinda pricey for me. Who else offers the catted Y. I saw Texas speed has one but I heard it had some fitment issues. I also plan on lowering my car in the future so I don't want to buy something thats going to hang to low. Are the Y pipes pretty standard? I mean can I buy the LPP catted Y and buy hooker headers or do I have to buy them as a set.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Don't some places throw a fit and fail your inspection if you so much as moved the Cats? I'm definitely keeping some sort of Cat(s) on my car when I do LT, etc (already have GMMG catback). Just curious, my car is registered in NC by the way.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

I'm not sure about that. I'm pretty sure in my state they just check and see if you have them. I'm not sure how they would know if you moved them. The position is different on many cars.