Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic coated headers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic coated headers?

I recently had a set of headers Ceramic coated, and they coated the flange surface that mates to the head. These are Sanderson Headers custom made for JTR so they fit an LS1 Rx7 Swap, they advertise their headers to ONLY use Ultra Black RTV for sealing, and not to use any gasket.

I'm suspecting they're not sealing properly at this point. I have a tick that sounds to me like either a collapsed lifter or an exhaust leak. Its a very faint tick and I can't find any loose rocker arms when torqued down so I doubt it's a collapsed lifter. (Definitely not a spun bearing, this is a far higher pitched sound, and it's only coming from the rear passenger side head) It's also difficult to tell since theres no cat on the car... EVERYTHING smells like exhaust lol.

The coating is great, nice and thick really made a difference in under hood temps in that cramped little engine bay. Should I take these off to a machine shop and have the coating material on the flange surface ground flat?

Last edited by whiteseven; 01-03-2010 at 11:47 PM.