LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

SS Cop Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 01:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS Cop Cars?

Does anyone know if some of these cars were put into service as cop cars? It would make sense.

I followed a cop Impala 3.9 onto the interstate this morning. He was distracted with donuts and his cell phone so he couldn't signal, but keeping up with him when he got into it was not a problem.

I'd think the 5.3 would have made an excellent pursuit vehicle, like some departments buy V8 stangs for pursuit work.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:39 AM
TECH Junkie

I think the 9C1 Impalas were exclusively 3.9L cars. But there may be some SS cars that have been seized/bought by the police for special use...
Old 01-08-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
I think the 9C1 Impalas were exclusively 3.9L cars. But there may be some SS cars that have been seized/bought by the police for special use...
Quoted for Truth. My local departments have the 9C1s but have a stable of random vehicles that were bought/seized.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

No pursuit vehicle is better than a helicopter and radio haha. With the failure of these transmissions in DD use just imagine the abuse they would see in police duty. IIRC GM said that they didn't think the drivetrain would hold up in police duty which is why they use the 3.9. That being said, police departments could still buy civilian versions if they want and outfit them. A department near here has an 06 SS as their K9 car.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

leets just hope they dont use the camaro or g8s......
Old 01-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Banned

Old 01-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Launching!

^^^^Cant wait till those hit the auctions
Old 01-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Three years isn't that long.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Teching In

On my way to work one morning in my SS I saw what looked like an exact replica of my car that had pulled someone over. It was really funny because as I passed the scene, I was checking out the car to see if it was an SS like mine.

The officer glanced over at me and nodded. I nodded back smiling...the guy that had been tail-gateing me for the last 4 miles immediately dropped back 4 or 5 bus lengths, and NO ONE dared to pass me for the remaining 5 miles of my journey!

I really milked it just to **** with my impatient fellow commuters. Great day!
Old 01-09-2010, 03:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by figleaf
On my way to work one morning in my SS I saw what looked like an exact replica of my car that had pulled someone over. It was really funny because as I passed the scene, I was checking out the car to see if it was an SS like mine.

The officer glanced over at me and nodded. I nodded back smiling...the guy that had been tail-gateing me for the last 4 miles immediately dropped back 4 or 5 bus lengths, and NO ONE dared to pass me for the remaining 5 miles of my journey!

I really milked it just to **** with my impatient fellow commuters. Great day!
******* with fellow commuters is the best.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JC05GXP
^^^^Cant wait till those hit the auctions
Ditto.....
Old 01-11-2010, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Moraine, OH has the SS impalas and SS trailblazer as cruisers and K9. They have race built transmissions, K/N intakes and tuned to remove the speed limiter. I'm glad to know that my yearly donation is put to good use.

Our Ohio State Patrol now has Dodge Charger R/T cruisers. I almost found out the hard way as one came up fast behind me and I raced to stay with him until I saw the markings when looking at the trooper. Luckily he must have just gotten it because he smiled and waved. I then slowed down while sh**ing my pants.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've seen Riverdale Police Department with the Dodge Charger RT, 3.5 & the unmarked Impala SS lurks around from time to time and it looks nice and steathy! We have the 3.9 Imps at our department, but alot of City agencies use the 3.9 Imps for Badged and unmarked cruisers!

here's 1 of ours:

Old 01-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Staging Lane

I heard that they never put the 5.3L into a police vehicle because they used the upgraded radiator from the SS for the 9C1. They did not want to spend the money to develop an upgraded radiator for the 5.3L.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

so many myths....not all too far fetched...it comes down to budgets of a particular dept....my dept we have crown vics, impalas and chargers, some darangos...those go to invest guys....our state police love the ford mustangs and keep them unmarked and slick topped...those of you who dont know what that is...it means no lights up top...most all interdiction/project units have intergrated lighting...LEDS!!! I must say that these pics got me in the right spot...I LOVE IT! the new Impala pd packages are very sleek and roomie...and not too bad on output either....
Old 01-12-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Another other cool thing about the new Caprice cop cars is that they eliminated a lot trunk space and put the back seat farther back. That way once the roll bar/barrier is put in the driver's seat still has a lot of travel and can recline a bit. The driver's seat also has a special foam in the lumbar area to accomodate handcuff's and such. The dash has built in mounts for radar, radios, etc. According to the press release, it's the first car ever designed solely for police use (no civilian application).
Old 01-12-2010, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

well....unless your taking a look at Carbon Motors...those cars kick ***!! but the contract they have to go along with their purchase is too pricey and a bit unpracticle...I was talking to our garage sgt. and he advised that they want you to get it serviced with them, they wont train techs for in house work and they want the cars back after you are expected to keep them for 7 years!! Their plant broke ground here in indy but, they havent made it all final just yet...i dont think they will be around for too long unless they appeal to the budgets of cities....and they only want to sell in bulk...not only a few here and there...so, we'll see...
Old 01-13-2010, 02:56 AM
Launching!

well I can verify that that roll bar ain't moved nowhere for the seating position. HAHA trust me those are some tight cars. Thats why they went to the charger and the crown vic more space up front to fit all the batman gadgets. The seats are not moved just a 9c1 with a roll bar and a separater. No more funky stuff other than the 9c1 option. Trust me I blew up my fair share. hehe
Old 01-13-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

I wasn't talking about the current Impies, I was talking about the not yet available Caprice's. Here's the presser and some excerpts:

http://publish.media.gm.com/content/...Caprice_Police

My Dad was a cop (retired, disability, it's a hard life and tons of credit to anyone who deals with the worst in society day in and day out!) and at 6'4" 250, he was pumped about this presser when I showed it to him. FWIW, his favorite cruiser's were the 351 powered LTD II's.

Last edited by nmp0098; 01-13-2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: list's didn't look right
                    Old 01-13-2010, 12:51 PM
                    TECH Fanatic

Nice.