Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

need help finding deals on parts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking need help finding deals on parts!!!

tax return is around the corner time to start looking for deals on goodies:
lookin for individual or package deals:
1. Headers
2. Cam
3. Valvespring kit(comp 921 or similar)
4. Pushrods
5. Intake manifold
6. Throtle body
7. Big axle shaft
8. ??? Cheap mods
all for the 04 ls6 to compliment my magnaflow exhaust with hf cats and cai and hp tuners. My goal is 4 to 500 hp.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use the search and shop around.. thats a tall list but only 400hp or so. if you want close to 500 ur either looking at 6k in engine building or a blower.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

forget the intake manifold and throttle body until you go forced induction IMO, ls6 flows good air and there is no need and very little gain with a FAST with the mods you listed. With your list your looking at maybe maybe 400rwhp depending on the cam. Id put the money from the manifold and TB towards a clutch and flywheel.

BTW just look through deals on here through vendors they usually have some hard to beat prices.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
forget the intake manifold and throttle body until you go forced induction IMO, ls6 flows good air and there is no need and very little gain with a FAST with the mods you listed. With your list your looking at maybe maybe 400rwhp depending on the cam. Id put the money from the manifold and TB towards a clutch and flywheel.

BTW just look through deals on here through vendors they usually have some hard to beat prices.
With a cam/headers a Fast/TB isn't a terrible idea. Especially if you are going to replace the heads eventually.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

I just emailed Ed Curtis for a AZPS03 cam. It's suppose to get me to over 400 or how about a patrick g cam? I've read of huge hp gains through cam alone not to mention the headers and intake/tb. c'mon really is there no way to get over 450 without maggie?? I also thought our heads were great from the factory???
Old 01-10-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

our heads are pretty good, but if you go with a big cam the added flow of AFRs will certainly make a power differemce. I think with heads/cam/ long tubes/ manifold you could see close to 450. Your gonna have to see what it looks liek as a base. Some dyno under 320 some around 340. But to be honest people get stuck on peak dyno numbers instead of the curve and seat of the pants feel. Dyno numbers arent everything and one 450rwhp car could walk away from a different 450rwhp car, there are a lot of factors.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Default update

im going to purchase a 242/248 Flowtechinduction LSX “StreetSweeper-XL” Custom Camshaft Kit. LSX “StreetSweeper-XL” Custom Camshaft Kit
The most powerful S/S series camshafts available. Serious street/Strip Power
Custom “SS-XL” Series Hydraulic Roller Camshaft
PAC Racing 1221 Severe Duty Dual Valve Springs - Max Lift .650”
FTI Hardened & Machined Spring Locators
FTI Seven Degree Titanium Retainers
FTI Hardened Seven Degree Valve Locks
Steel Shelled Viton Valve Stem Seals
FTI Pro-Series Hardened Pushrods

any one run this in their v's or have any experience with this setup?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is my cam thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...p-45-rwtq.html

That sounds like a hell of a lot of cam for a car with no head work. Also with something that big, not sure how much 'steet' you are going to get out of it. Top end will be retarded, but how much time do you spend above 5500?

For me it's about the combo, not the 'bigest' cam. It may work for you though. Your car, do your thing.

-Chris
Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Cheap parts lol. Not with the cadillac tax. I've been waiting for used headers to pop up for a LONG time now but no dice. Those who have em, won't part and those selling their car's don't want to take the time to take em off. Brand new pricing is ridiculous.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

i was thinking something more liek this cheap mod
90 degree rubber elbow
6" straight tube
22 degree bent tube
4" rubber couplers
4" bracket hanger

All parts are able to be picked up from Specter at the local Napa auto parts store.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by z28dogg
im going to purchase a 242/248 Flowtechinduction LSX “StreetSweeper-XL” Custom Camshaft Kit. LSX “StreetSweeper-XL” Custom Camshaft Kit
The most powerful S/S series camshafts available. Serious street/Strip Power
Custom “SS-XL” Series Hydraulic Roller Camshaft
PAC Racing 1221 Severe Duty Dual Valve Springs - Max Lift .650”
FTI Hardened & Machined Spring Locators
FTI Seven Degree Titanium Retainers
FTI Hardened Seven Degree Valve Locks
Steel Shelled Viton Valve Stem Seals
FTI Pro-Series Hardened Pushrods

any one run this in their v's or have any experience with this setup?
I think thats a terrible cam choise if your V is a street car , and you plan on ever using your a/c
Do alittle more reasearch in the internal parts section of this forum, you dont need anything that crazy to make good power.

Theres a few forum sponsor that have good prices.

Texas-speed.com has some good package deals, also www.lmperformance.com and dont forget Ebay.

I got my dual valve springs and push rods from www.patriot-performance.com Good guys and good springs for the money.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

why is it a bad choice? What does it have to do with a/c? and why do people always complain about daily driving with a huge cam in your car? I just want the biggest cam I can get that is safe to use with my headers,cai,magnaflow,hp tuners,typhoon intake manifold,throttle body that would maximize horespower safely. I don't upgrade much but once a year so i save what i can through the year to maximize my purchases with tax refund added. if you know a better cam that will give me max hp safely bringing me to 430-450hp then let me know
Old 01-16-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Typhoon intake is a poor choice. It will be nothing but a big heat sink under there. If you are going with such a huge cam go with a fast 92/92 while they are still around or even a fast 102/102
Old 01-17-2010, 07:28 AM
Banned

why is it a bad choice? What does it have to do with a/c? and why do people always complain about daily driving with a huge cam in your car? I just want the biggest cam I can get that is safe to use with my headers,cai,magnaflow,hp tuners,typhoon intake manifold,throttle body that would maximize horespower safely. I don't upgrade much but once a year so i save what i can through the year to maximize my purchases with tax refund added. if you know a better cam that will give me max hp safely bringing me to 430-450hp then let me know
Biggist cam isnt always the best. And definatly not the best if your v is daily driven.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
I think thats a terrible cam choice if your V is a street car , and you plan on ever using your a/c
+1 on that. It would certainly have "Ricerific" power.

I'd take a cam with more area under the torque curve anytime, especially with a manual where you can't compensate with a converter.

Visualize these displayed horizontally: < ( . Which curve would be more user friendly (read: tractable and faster) on the street. Which on would require multiple downshifts to get the motor in it's "sweet spot"?

No matter how high the torque peak is, it's where the motor will begin to accept a load and where it finally dips below that point that actually matters on the street. Some things can't be tuned out.

In a V, with that cam, I'd also recommend a two-piece timing cover.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

typhoon intake manifold?? have you had any experience with it?? or is it your opinion because of the material used on them? I would love to get the fast but if this option lets me get about the same performance gains at half the price then i'm all for it! oh and how would a big cam make me ricerific?
Old 01-17-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
Biggist cam isnt always the best. And definatly not the best if your v is daily driven.
I daily drove this cam just fine, AC worked great, stopped just fine, and all that good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9kqCVa_COE

Next V is getting a 402 with LS3 heads and G6x3 cam i think
Old 01-17-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh and how would a big cam make me ricerific?
It wouldn't make you "Ricerific", it would make your motor's power characterisitics like a ricer (or a 125 MXer, if you're familiar with bikes), especially in a 5.7.

The LS6 intake on your car is an excellent manifold and will work just fine on that 5.7. The 90mm TB conversion that TPIS does, along with a 90 mm LS2/7 DBW TB would be a better investment and performance enhancement than the Typhoon. It would cost about the same.

Originally Posted by y2kfrc
I daily drove this cam just fine, AC worked great, stopped just fine, and all that good stuff.
The header on your video says it's a 414. Big cubes can handle a more radical cam. What works in our cars will completely obliterate the low end and most of the midrange in a smaller motor.

z28dogg, to quote the JG Wentworth commercial, "It's your money, use it when you want to".
Old 01-18-2010, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

"The LS6 intake on your car is an excellent manifold and will work just fine on that 5.7. The 90mm TB conversion that TPIS does, along with a 90 mm LS2/7 DBW TB would be a better investment and performance enhancement than the Typhoon. It would cost about the same."

Can yyou hook me up with links for this combo? I apreciate the helpful info, I want a big cam but not that 2-stroke mx sound
Old 01-18-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://tpis.com/index.php?module=cat...ed+LS6+Intakes

Quick Reply: need help finding deals on parts!!!