Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concerned about A4 after being rearended

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Concerned about A4 after being rearended

the story: I was parked in my car it was in park and running blammo somebody crashed into the rear of the car. The car and myself were pushed foward a couple of feet and I heard some definate metal sounds.

Did the accident thing. I ran through the gears and drove it slowly in the parking lot for a bit. Everything was cool. Tranny was full of fluid and not leaking any on the ground. Drove it back home and there was no vibrations or any sounds. Only thing I heard after the initial crash was when it died in parking lot (need better tune) and it made a metal squeeking sound just as it died.

But anyways I was wondering what the probablity is of the tranny or rearend having problems now. And how I could check to see if there is any damage that may cause it to fail sooner than it should. I know I can check the pan and look at the magnet to see if there is any shavings and jib jive.
Thanks for any help.

It is a stock 4L60e, just turned 70,000 w/3500 stall and 2 tranny coolers (stock and B&M)
Old 12-20-2003, 02:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can check the pan for debris. The parking mechanism is designed so it can be overcome though, so it's probably fine. The only way to REALLY know is disassmeble it. Make sure the insurance company notes possible rear, driveshaft, and transmission damage. This way, if you have a problem in the future you may be able to refer back to that claim as unrepaired damages.