Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is my clutch going out or are my hydraulics melting down?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Default Is my clutch going out or are my hydraulics melting down?

I'm never had the occasion to work from the engine back, so I'm not quite sure what's going on. Something definitely isn't right with my clutch.

- I have a 1999 stock Firebird WS6 6-speed with 90K miles.
- The trans was removed once for a partial re-build but the clutch was not altered.
- For the last 15K miles, I've been getting a horrible brake pad burning smell from the middle of the car only when I do very long hauls of 500 miles or more at one time. (My brakes are fine and not used, of course, over the long distances so I've been assuming the smell is from the clutch.)
- Recently, I've been getting a wicked shudder when I let out the clutch from a stop. Revving the engine higher than normal seems to help reduce the vibration. Along with this starting up, my clutch pedal feels a little bit spongy and I had one start where the pedal stuck to the floor board and popped back up.
- Over the last 5-10K miles, its felt like the clutch has been slipping some times.

I've been through all the stickies, which have been great instructive. I know that I'm in for a complete replacement and upgrade of the hydraulics when I drop the trans next. (I will probably also do the drill mod.)

My guess is that my clutch is finally giving out AND that my hydraulics are going belly-up at the same time? Am I correct? Is there any way to check the clutch visually from underneath the car? (I don't see anything about visual inspection in my factory service manuals.)
Old 01-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Bump. If no ideas - does can someone answer the question about checking clutch thickness from underneath the car?
Old 01-22-2010, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

11 years and 90k miles is asking a lot of the stock clutch, it's definitely time for a replacement. While the trans is out, replace the slave cylinder for sure. The master cyl is likely about done too, but since it doesn't require trans removal to access you can replace it at a later time when budget allows if needed.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you smell clutch then it is slipping. Since you've got a wicked shudder, you may have a problem with the disk or pp which is not clamping it properly causing it to slip and also unevenly which may cause the shudder.

A slipping clutch will overheat the fluid to the point that the pedal may not return on occasion. Regardless, you should do a new slave cylinder while you replace the clutch. If you still have hydraulic issues after replacing the clutch and slave you can the replace or upgrade the master.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know, my clutch was starting to act up about a year ago and I went ahead and replaced it all. It was shaking real bad, and making noises when the clutch was pressed in, as well as a rattling noise at some RPMs. It always seemed to have good pressure, but you could tell something was up by the way it would scrape and be difficult to go into gears, especially 5th and reverse. Sometimes it would shift without any resistance at all... and scrape real bad.

I ordered a Monster stage III with a new slave/pressure plate/clutch/pilot bearing/TO bearing/chrome moly flywheel. When I got the old clutch out I noticed that the clutch itself looked fine (stock with like 133k miles). It could have kept going for a while, as I don't really abuse it. The pilot bearing, however, was almost non-existant. It desintegraed and chewed up the input shaft = $1280 rebuild

I later found that the stock master cylinder wasn't up to the task, as it wasn't shifting well (grinding/difficulty goin into gear). The rest of the problems were taken care of by a Tick master cylinder.

All I can say is that the Tick M/C was, by far, one of the best mods that I have ever done to my car. My clutch doesn't make any noise anymore (like a gang of turkies), it goes into gear as easy as a car that GM didn't design, and it shifts so smooth that I actually enjoy driving and shifting again. Oh, and Tick stands behind their products too. Great customer service and fast shipping. I only wish that I wasnt in such a tight schedule when I had my tranny rebuilt, because I could have had my tranny redone by tick for just a little more cash and it would be in better shape.

Whatever you do, add a tick master cylinder to your budget. You will not be disappointed as it's well worth the money.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Save the manuals!

Thanks for your replies! This is very helpful. I've also been eye'ing Tick's MC. (I'm not a drill mod fan and would rather have a part designed for the purpose.)

Quick Reply: Is my clutch going out or are my hydraulics melting down?