Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak Mystery..

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Oil Leak Mystery..

Ok so I have a 2000 Trans Am. I know the Rear main seal is notorious for going bad and leaking oil, however I've had my car for a few months (bought it used from a guy in August) and it hasn't ever leaked or used oil. Suddenly a few days ago I noticed oil in my parking spot at school. It was a fairly large stain, so I checked my oil, and it was about a quart low. Looking under the car I can see oil puddled up where the Tranny and Engine meet (rear main seal right?) well I added oil so it wouldn't be low.

Last night I parked my car in my parent's carport and it sat there over night. This morning, not a single drop of oil?? It's like it leaked a fair amount for a few days, then stopped? I haven't had a chance to get the car up off the ground and get a good look at it but this seems strange to me? Wondering If this makes any sense to anyone?

Also if it is the rear main seal does anyone have any tips for replacing it? I had a friend who had a camaro and had his rear main seal fixed at a shop about 4 or 5 times and it would still start leaking again and again. Please give me all the info you can lol!! thanks.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im going thru an identical issue with my car.... My car goes back to the dealer I bought it from for clutch warrenty work and there going to fix it but for months they have been trying to track it down with dye and everything. Finally they deemed it as the rear main seal area but from my understanding its a cover not a seal like old sbc's and the lifter valley drains into it and thats where it is comming from. Hope its the same for you but my tip is they told me they need an alignment tool to install that cover correctly. Seems unbelieveable but we will see...
Old 01-16-2010, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I guess if they get in pin-pointed and fix it let me know exactly what it was and what they did if you can! thanks.