Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

'09 S/C Isolator Rattle...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 S/C Isolator Rattle...

Has anyone with a V2 had this problem?

I've been borrowing my uncle's 09 and it makes a little bit of a rattling noise from about 1500-2000rpm. It's pretty quiet as I wouldn't have noticed had I not been driving around with the radio off. The car has about 1650mi on it right now. I've noticed that some people hear it at idle but this car doesn't do that.

Should he get it replaced or just keep driving it? Other than this, the car is amazing.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

ive seen a video about that. i think that wait4meperformance.com makes a solid piece to replace the stock one because they wear out very quickly.

ill see if i can find that.

they make a package with a pulley, tune, intake etc...
Old 01-17-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

here it is...

skip forward to 4:40 to see that part of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm4Jh_B2r6Y

Last edited by SS#1230; 01-17-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a bunch of threads on this issue on the caddy forum. I'll have to double check but there might also be a TSB for the issue. A GM engineer came over and said it's not an issue, but it seems to be. Usually it's the early build's that have the issue. So far mine has 4300+ miles on it and no noise yet. I hope.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

It seems like its more prevalent during short hops than when its driven for a long time IMO. The car still runs like a bat out of hell though. Had me wondering why anyone would want to put a pulley on it but I smartened up pretty quickly.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine went out at 1230 miles. Sounds like marbles inside a shaking can. Generally will progressively worsen. the engineer that came on the caddieforum advised that it is not a serviceable part for GM as the supercharger is bought completely assembled and that the noise is normal. He further advised that unauthorized replacement of the isolator could cause warranty implications. Lingenfelter makes a solid unit. When you are hearing that noise, the isolator internal spring is probably wearing a groove in the supercharger shaft. Even though you may not hear it from inside the cabin, it can be heard by other nearby cars. To them, it sounds like a diesel. I have a post over on the caddieforum titled "Newest member of the supercharger isolator Death Rattle club" if you care to read. I had mine replaced at D3 Research & Design in Signal Hill, CA. The cost was minimal, the service and workmanship were excellent, and best yet I don't have to tolerate the stares from the noise. Jesse Bubb at Wait4Me also sells and installs it.
HTH

Quick Reply: '09 S/C Isolator Rattle...