Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Playing with HDR Photography - My V

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Playing with HDR Photography - My V

Been playing with HDR effects using my digital camera. No way have I mastered this process, but I think my first pass looks pretty cool. Need to find a better setting than my driveway, though.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Maybe its me but Im not seeing much a HDR effect??
Old 01-18-2010, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

I shot it at different bracketed exposure levels and ran it through an HDR process. It looks much different than the source. I don't know, maybe I still have work to do. LOL...
Old 01-18-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

I think they look great!
Old 01-18-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like those frc's
Old 01-18-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
i like those frc's
X2, where did you pick those up from?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
i like those frc's
Those are LS2 GTO frc's. Pretty cool looking.

My buddy had his custom painted and I was hanging around the shop drinking beer while they were getting done, so that is why I know that those are a GTO part.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by egypt123
I shot it at different bracketed exposure levels and ran it through an HDR process. It looks much different than the source. I don't know, maybe I still have work to do. LOL...
Those pix look super-clear and very nice. One thing would be cool though, could you post up the original pix so we can see the difference?
Old 01-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Wow, car looks great.. Very clean! Props for that
Old 01-19-2010, 05:40 AM
10 Second Club

not hijacking but a buddy saw this thread and sent to me. Here's a motion HDR...although I've been told it can't be done. But...we've got the software at work to do the layers of HDR even with non-static subjects.

Good work on playing with the HDR and your car looks great. Although i don't know that much about it, I surround myself with people who do!

on this page under my name:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...thread-17.html

Last edited by alan2000T/A; 01-20-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1bad2k
X2, where did you pick those up from?
Yes, as someone else said, those are GTO FRCs. I picked them up from someone here on LST1Tech in the GTO forums. When searching for some, I also kept an eye on ebay and other GTO specific forums.

I spent $45 on a set of dirty, scratched up GTO FRCs (didn't worry much about what they looked like since I knew I'd be sanding and painting them, but made sure the bottom clips were intact and none were broken), $20 on a pack of 3 stick-on V emblems off of fleabay (nice to have the extra one just in case), and ~$5 on sanding paper. I already had some silver and black paint. Total labor time was about 2 hours.

Process = Fit, trim, fit, trim, fit, trim, fit, trim, grind down big **** GTO letters in centers, fill/smooth where necessary, clean, sand, clean, sand, clean, tape, paint, install, stick-on V emblems (install FRCs first so you get emblems in the right spot).

All trimming and grinding was done using a Dremel. My only issue now is whether to repaint the black using a high-gloss black. I used the flat black to be safe and I thought it matched better with the other plastic components. Plus, I already had a spare can of flat black in the garage.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, as someone else said, those are GTO FRCs. I picked them up from someone here on LST1Tech in the GTO forums. When searching for some, I also kept an eye on ebay and other GTO specific forums.

I spent $45 on a set of dirty, scratched up GTO FRCs (didn't worry much about what they looked like since I knew I'd be sanding and painting them, but made sure the bottom clips were intact and none were broken), $20 on a pack of 3 stick-on V emblems off of fleabay (nice to have the extra one just in case), and ~$5 on sanding paper. I already had some silver and black paint. Total labor time was about 2 hours.

Process = Fit, trim, fit, trim, fit, trim, fit, trim, grind down big **** GTO letters in centers, fill/smooth where necessary, clean, sand, clean, sand, clean, tape, paint, install, stick-on V emblems (install FRCs first so you get emblems in the right spot).

All trimming and grinding was done using a Dremel. My only issue now is whether to repaint the black using a high-gloss black. I used the flat black to be safe and I thought it matched better with the other plastic components. Plus, I already had a spare can of flat black in the garage.
well they look bada55! ill stick with my z06 frc's that took me about 10 minutes to make fit perfect haha.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1bad2k
well they look bada55! ill stick with my z06 frc's that took me about 10 minutes to make fit perfect haha.
Anything is better than the tuna boat that came from the factory. Been debating whether to send my factory one to Cuba to help some family to defect.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anything is better than the tuna boat that came from the factory. Been debating whether to send my factory one to Cuba to help some family to defect.
you'd be surprised what we would/could do to make it to miami.

a cousin of mine and 8 others came over in a 1942 ford pickup rigged with a small boat motor. some have been so desperate they'll use a pallet modified to float and "row", which in turn ends up being certain death.

OP, what camera are you using? I can't see how this wasn't the first post to this thread.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Been playing with HDR effects using my digital camera. No way have I mastered this process, but I think my first pass looks pretty cool. Need to find a better setting than my driveway, though.

Wow.... are those sanded and repainted GTO frc's with the V badges add on them? Those look SICK as hell!!! You just gave me the idea for what I'm going to do when I get some FRC's!!! By the way the picks look sick to bro...
Old 01-19-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Whooops..... I'm on my moto cliq and didn't see the rest of the posts about the FRC's.... still love them and based on the other posts I was correct about them too.... lol
Old 01-19-2010, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tony tone
you'd be surprised what we would/could do to make it to miami.

a cousin of mine and 8 others came over in a 1942 ford pickup rigged with a small boat motor. some have been so desperate they'll use a pallet modified to float and "row", which in turn ends up being certain death.

OP, what camera are you using? I can't see how this wasn't the first post to this thread.
Sorry if I offended anyone with my Cuba comment... It's got to be tough living in that environment. Wish the U.S. and Cuba could have better relations because both have so much to offer and gain from the other. Anyway, the camera I used is a 8MP Minolta 35mm Digital. It's pretty old and I've wanting to upgrade. Luckily, it allows me to do bracketing shots and have some manual exposure control. I'm sure the new cameras (possibly even the point-n-shoot) allow you to bracket.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

OP, I think your pics are quite good but my comments were about the HDR effect...this is how a HDR pic should look like...

Before and after:

Car example:

Old 01-19-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by alan2000T/A
not hijacking but a buddy saw this thread and sent to me. Here's a motion HDR...although I've been told it can't be done. But...we've got the software at work to do the layers of HDR even with non-static subjects.

Good work on playing with the HDR and your car looks great. Although i don't know that much about it, I surround myself with people who do!

Thats not really HDR but more of a simulation...some programs do a fair job others fail.

Hope that clarifies what I tried to said before.

Here is an example of such a program done in one of my pics. True HDR is quite more involved and produces interesting pics to look at but is a bit played out.

Last edited by chaman; 01-19-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Cool pics. I like the second one. And the wheels on whoever's ws6 that is are pretty sweet.

Quick Reply: Playing with HDR Photography - My V