25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

BFG KDW2's or General UHP's

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BFG KDW2's or General UHP's

Curious what everyone's thought's are on the 2 tires. I plan on putting these on my regular C6 corvette. I'm going to be getting new wheels so I decided to just get new tires as well. The wheels I'm getting are 18x10 and 19x11. The back spacing is correct to run either size tire.

I was going to go with the Goodyear run flats but they just aren't my favorite tire in the world. I'd rather go the route of a can of fix a flat, plug kit, and mini air compressor i think.

The 2 tires I'm looking at are:

BFG G-force KDW2's
255/40/18
295/35/19

General Exclaim UHP's
275/35/18
325/30/19

About the BFG
I run a set of KDWS's on my other car and like them a lot. My friend runs the old tread pattern KD's and he has never had a problem. He is actually on his 2nd pair. The first pair lasted a long time and handled good. I have no experience with the KDW2 however. I'm not 100% sold on the style of the tread pattern but if it is a better tire i'll deal.

About the General
I really don't know much about these tires. Honestly I have never heard of them. If i got them they would be my frist pair.

I have read the reviews on both tires and both get pretty good reviews. Some people complain the BFG's are too noisy and wear fast when others say they have no such problems. The generals actually get good reviews with only a few people saying the sidewalls were soft but others claim not to have any such problems.

I read most of the reviews from tirerack.com really only looking at the corvette drivers. Aside from the few sidewall complaints on the generals (by a few I mean maybe 5 or so) they seem to get a better review.

My driving style is more of a cruising style. I drive my car and my father drives it. I don't drag race or autocross. Occasional hard acceleration is possible but I don't slam through the gears or lay rubber all over the place. I expect some hard cornering here and there but i would say less than 30% of the time. Annual mileage on the car I'm estimating to be around 1500 miles.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

After reading the reviews on tirerack.com I decided to go ahead and give the General Exclaim UHP's a try. I'm VERY happy with them. I'm running 275/35/18's all the way around. It's not noisy at all, has good traction, and is very good in the rain as well. I would buy another set without hesitation. I don't have any experience with the KDW2's, so I can't compare, but the price difference was worth it to me to give the General's a try and I'm pleased!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
After reading the reviews on tirerack.com I decided to go ahead and give the General Exclaim UHP's a try. I'm VERY happy with them. I'm running 275/35/18's all the way around. It's not noisy at all, has good traction, and is very good in the rain as well. I would buy another set without hesitation. I don't have any experience with the KDW2's, so I can't compare, but the price difference was worth it to me to give the General's a try and I'm pleased!
I was surprised. I have never really heard of General Tire before but that's probably because I never paid attention to them. Other than a few people complaining about the sidewalls being a little softer they seem like a good tire. Then again the people that were complaining were corvette guys are coming off GY Eagle FT supercar EMT's which are known for being very stiff because they are run-flats.

I can get Generals for $800 and KDW2's for $982
Old 01-22-2010, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

For your driving style, get the Generals.

There is no difference between KDW and KDW2. Technically, there is no KDW2 model. There is differing tread patterns but for the most part, you don't have a choice since they only offer one pattern per size.

KDW's stick like ***** though, and are a good choice for harder driving.

Also check out the Nitto Invo's. That's what I just put on my vette with 18/19 combo and am very happy with them.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nj02vette
For your driving style, get the Generals.

There is no difference between KDW and KDW2. Technically, there is no KDW2 model. There is differing tread patterns but for the most part, you don't have a choice since they only offer one pattern per size.

KDW's stick like ***** though, and are a good choice for harder driving.

Also check out the Nitto Invo's. That's what I just put on my vette with 18/19 combo and am very happy with them.
Some places call the new bfg's kdw2's or kdw nt's to distinguish the new tread design. Aside from the added tread noise they seem like they would be as good as the old tread kdws's
I hear a lot about the invos too. Price wise they are in the same ballpark. Not sure what they were thinking with the tread pattern. I guess it works.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the Generals on my last set of wheels. I liked them for the most part. They have a high treadwear of 400AA i think, they'll last a while. I did numerous HUGE burnouts and they still had half tread before i got new wheels/tires.

I got mine from onlinetires.com, they're cheaper than tirerack on all tires from what i've seen.

Just compared tirerack.com to onlinetires.com for the General Exclaim UHP 325/30/19's

tirerack - $203
onlinetires - $187

Last edited by 01SOMZ28; 01-22-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: BFG KDW2's or General UHP's