Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

swap Ls1 2004 into chevy truck 1997

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swap Ls1 2004 into chevy truck 1997

Looking to swap in a Ls1 engine corvette into my chevy 1997 5.7 liter 4x4 truck...

what is involve?
those my tranny 4l60 will fit to Ls1 engine?
what about cpu?
what about the radiator in my truck will it fit?

let me know what is involve in this little project of mine!!

Thank you !!

I need your help !!!
Old 01-23-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, welcome.

To answer your questions, you'll need a new transmission (the bellhousing is different between the SBC engine that you have and the newer gen III LS engine). You will be able to re-use your radiator, it will most likely be more than enough to cool the smaller, more efficient gen III LS engine. You will need a new computer with a tune for the engine that you are putting in.

Also, you don't have to use an LS1 out of a corvette or an f-body. You can get a 5.3 or 6.0 out of a truck, and build that up just as easily! The truck engines have the same architecture as the LS1s, the only major difference is that they have iron blocks and heads. These engines can be had for less than 1,000, and the trannies are usually pretty cheap if you get the engine and tranny as a package deal.

Your best bet is to do research on here, there is a TON of information regarding these swaps. Also, more people will chime in below that have more experience with locating engines, and what parts are compatible with what. Good luck!