Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Install Help

OK I've searched but cannot find the answer to these 2 questions. Can anyone help? I am going to put a Sony HU in my 1998 Camaro Z28 Monsoon system car.

1- I read somewhere that there is a adapter that has a plug on both ends to go from the Sony into the factory harness but I cannot find it.

2- The Sony has 3 sets of RCA outs, is it better to wire these into the wires to the factory amp or just use the harness in question #1

Thank You for any help.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Read the Monsoon FAQ sticky.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1.) Harness adapter is what your refering to. In this case it's a small plug that wires into the Sony and then plugs into the stock harness. They are vehicle specific.
2.) No. Just use the adapter because ther is no provision for RCA input on the the stock amp.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

VIP1 I read both FAQ's in stereo first and I found no answer to these questions.

Kee Audio thank You for your reply, the harness adapter i am referring to has a Plug on each end (no splicing required) i remember reading about this but i don not remember where.

the radio has RCA females, I can conect a male into these and then splice into the radio harness my question, is there any advantage to this? Better sound using the RCA jacks?????
Old 01-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The harness you're thinking about was made specially for Circuit City. It is basically the same as a standard wiring harness adapter but CC had them finished on the other end so that you wouldn't have to splice the HU wires. CC is out of business and those harnesses are no longer available unless you can find an old one on eBay or something.

No, you can't use the RCA jacks in any way with the factory amp. The fact that the factory amp doesn't have RCA jacks is more than a question of the type of plug. The factory amp takes only speaker level signal for input. RCAs are used for low level signal and are not compatible no matter how you splice the wires.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you just need to buy the harness at any auto section in a store. you purchase the plug to go into the cars harness, and then connect those plug wires to the cd players harness. its not hard to do, the connections are the same color almost every time so its like connecting the dots
Old 01-24-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

Thanx guy's and WhiteBird00 I knew I saw them somewhere just could not remember where. On the RCA connection that makes sense I was just not thinking.