Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring up in tank pump (fuel rated wires?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring up in tank pump (fuel rated wires?)

my plan is to install the following pump (walbro in link bellow) into a new stock replacement tank for my 73 nova. my plan for running the wires out of the tank is: to cut the connector off the loose end of the pump wires solder some longer wires on and run the wires through a hole in stock sender door. then I plan to seal the wires in the hole with JB weld.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VPN-GCA758-2/

my concern is the insulation on the added length of wires. are there special wires that are made to be submerged in gas? can regular wires and shrink wrap (used to cover the solder joint) be used in gas?

I'm afraid of the insulation coming off the wires and having sparks in my gas tank when say I have a half tank and a bunch of vapor in there.

Thanks

Last edited by jetback73nova; 01-23-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Ive seen fuel rated heat shrink trough fastenall. Im curios about this also
Old 01-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

just did some research and I think teflon coated wires and teflon wire wrap is the way to go but where do you get just a little of each. also I need both in 12 gauge.

If the wires where as advertised I would be ok but they are much shorter and end in a connector (useless to me unless I get the other side). does anyone have an old LT1 fuel sender with the wires and connector I could buy. just a shot in the dark

Last edited by jetback73nova; 01-23-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

found some shrink wrap: http://www.amazon.com/Teflon-Shrink-...303112&sr=1-11
Old 01-23-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default fuel pump

if possible, why dont you replace the fuel sending unit with an electric pump sending unit like on the chevy '87 c10. i dont think gm changed sending to much from year to year. that way the wires will come out and there is no worry about shrink wrap, jb weld, or seaping gas fumes in the garage.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure its teflon insulation? Gasoline attacks teflon within minutes. That is why you do no use teflon tape on any type of fuel fitting whatsoever. I have put white teflon tape into gasoline (controlled experiment). The teflon turned to mush within 5 minutes or so.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Default Intank conversion

Originally Posted by jetback73nova
my plan is to install the following pump (walbro in link bellow) into a new stock replacement tank for my 73 nova. my plan for running the wires out of the tank is: to cut the connector off the loose end of the pump wires solder some longer wires on and run the wires through a hole in stock sender door. then I plan to seal the wires in the hole with JB weld.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VPN-GCA758-2/

my concern is the insulation on the added length of wires. are there special wires that are made to be submerged in gas? can regular wires and shrink wrap (used to cover the solder joint) be used in gas?

I'm afraid of the insulation coming off the wires and having sparks in my gas tank when say I have a half tank and a bunch of vapor in there.

Thanks
This is eggsactly what I been planning on doing. I too have wondered about wires in gas. I have noticed that some sending units have open connections. No type of insulation whatsoever. Has anyone ever checked to see if gas is a conducter? Pass electrical current though it? One would think so.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the relies, my plan is to use the remnants of my old tank (now cut in half and cleaned) to mod my new tank. I will use the stock sender hole on the new tank to house the sender and I will use the fuel line in it as the return line. I will weld the sender hole from the old tank to the top of the new one and use it to mount the pump, which will protrude though the bottom of the tank and into a sump made from part of the old tank. I don't want to change the sender style because I want to use what I have.

gas is probably a fair conductor of electricity but that does not matter because the current will take the easiest path which is though the wire, this is why there can be exposed leads. my fear is not of electricity traveling though the gas but a spark from on lead to another should they both loose there insulation and get close.

through some more research I think teflon comes in different forms, they use it for fuel lines so I know it can be used for fuel but I have also read about so called teflon tape desolving in gas. the skinny is that 100% teflon is can be used with fule but many products that claim to be teflon actualy have very little teflon in them like the white "teflon" tape used to seal pipes this is why they dissolve in gas.

Figured it out
I have thought of a getto solution that fits the theme of this project ie keep it cheap simple and use old parts. I will solder regular old wire to the leads and use regular shrink wrap then I will snake the wires through a steel fuel line that will be welded through the sender cap door thing. taking care to be sure that the added wires are completely inside the tube I will pack it full of JB weld and add some gas tank slosh paint to the inside portion of the tube and the JB weld at the end just for good measure. I will make a thread to show the full tank mod process later.

Quick Reply: wiring up in tank pump (fuel rated wires?)