Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fixed the volume knob

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed the volume ****

Performed on a 1998 Trans Am Monsoon head unit.

I did two things at the same time, so I don't know which one fixed it, but it's not a big deal because you can easily try number 1 first. I read that these fixes are not supposed to work because the control is electronic rather than mechanical. However, it worked for me. WARNING: the second method starting at number 2 is not without risk of damaging the unit! But, you were going buy an aftermarket head unit anyway, right?

1. Squirt a single 1/2 second shot of tuner cleaner (from electronics store) along the **** shaft. Turn **** back and forth. No need to spray more, it bubbles up and seeps in. Make sure it says safe on plastic on the can. Cover "stuff" up with rags because the cleaner has an oil additive, and it goes everywhere. Do not use brake cleaner etc., tuner cleaner is designed to not damage electronics, and brake cleaner will destroy plastic etc.
2. Pull **** off.
3. With unit removed from dash, it's important to pry up the faceplate clips just enough so that the little plastic clips only slighty come out of their holes.
4. On the volume side only! pry up the the side of faceplate about a 1/4 inch so that you can see the little square gray/black plastic box behind the ****. You can see the shaft go into it. It's about 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/2". Be very carefull here because "guts" are attached to the faceplate, and as you pry up the faceplate, pin connectors are pulling out of their sockets.
5. Spray a little shot of cleaner into the tiny holes located in the little box.
6. With great caution, push the faceplate back onto the unit making sure the pins go into the sockets correctly. Make sure other electronics don't hang up on the case of the head unit.
7. Test it before re-installing the unit.
8. Does it work? You're a hero.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 329 Likes on 301 Posts

I took an old one apart and saw that the contacts inside were dirty - so I this very well may work. However; I don't think you need to spray anything behind the face plate. The shaft is sufficient.

At the end of the shaft is a round metal disk with notches cut in to it. (Looks like a mini circular saw blade.) That "blade" rotates through pickups that sense rotation. When I took my bad switch apart, the blade was covered in gunk. Cleaner down the shaft should get to all the parts involved.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool. That should help a lot of people. Thanks.