Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck alternator on C5 bracket

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Truck alternator on C5 bracket

I had read that this won't work because the ears are different on the 2 alts though I never found how they were different. I got my C5 bracket over the weekend and took it to the shop today to see what the issue would be. Welllllll, the center to center distance on the C5 alternator holes is longer. I briefly contemplated buying a C5 alt and keeping what I had as a spare for my truck. Then I thought I might be able to weld a block to the alt body and add a hole. My buddy who owns the shop was looking this situaton over with me while I had the alt in the bracket and suggested just drilling a new hole in the bracket. NAH, not a lot of meat there. While looking it over we saw that the second bolt was about a half a hole off of the alt housing so I ground a groove in the alt to clear the bolt and then installed the bolt. It locks the alt in position very nicely. There is no way that it can move in the bracket. I took pics of the groove and the installed alt but forgot to bring the camera home. I'll update this tomorrow with pics.
I also had an old P/S pump laying around for 15yrs or so that looked similar to the C5 pump. I think it came off of a Caddy with a Northstar.The bosses were threaded though instead of drilled through. I drilled them out and with just a little clearancing on the web in the bracket the pump fits,too. Now I just need to fab up a resevoir and spacers to space the entire bracket out to the truck location and I'm almost there.
Bob
Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking forward to your pix, Bob! The truck alt's are easier to find and 1/3 the price...
Old 01-26-2010, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default here are the pics

It doesn't require much grinding

Just be sure to mask off the vents in the lt body before grinding. That took longer to do than the grinding.

It really can't get away and the belt will definately keep it in

I think I'm going to spend the $121 for a new C5 water pump. The reasoning being, if I ever have a water pump problem while traveling with this car I would be up the creek if I was using a modified truck pump. I plan to tour with this car so it is a reasonable concern. This water pump has under 100 miles on it so I'll sell it to recoup some of that cost.

Last edited by rubrhammer; 01-26-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Truck alternator on C5 bracket