Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Thinking of buying a used rear end...good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a used rear end...good idea?

Hey guys, I found this rear end on craigslist out of a 95 T/A and he says that it has 4:10 gears (easy enough to check) but he says he doesnt know anything else about them because he bought it used and never used it, but for $200 I might just take a chance. My question in, whats the best way to check it out for whining or any other problems. I figure I could just have him meet me at a shop where they could take the cover off and inspect it to give it the clean bill of health but if there are any other old tricks of the trade, I'd love to hear em. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've bought 2 rears used without ever checking before. If you can inspect it, and pop the cover, look for damage of the teeth, and the teeth seat marks. Check end play, and pinion seal leak (common on 10 bolts.) For $200, and if it's in good shape, I say do it!

Come with brakes too? If so, even better!

4.10s in a stock 10 bolt I heard are the weakest combo out there. I haven't personally expereinced it, but a search will net you similiar results.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just get it fixed if I were you. I bought a rear from someone on here and apparently it was run low on fluid which took out most of the bearings, it howls like a bitch now too. Even though when I inspected it, it was fine. You never know the history of what you're buying, which is a big problem.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should definitely ask the guy a lot of questions about the rear end.

Here are a few that I would ask.
Condition of gears?
Has he opened the punkin and is there any metal in the oil?
Does it include brakes?
What is the gear ratio?