Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Leaks

I have a 02 WS6 with cam and LPP headers and ORY connected to Mufflex 4" flowmaster ORY back. Problem is that it leaks almost everywhere other than at heads. The complete exhaust really didnt fit all that well to begin with. When installed it lasted about 3 weeks then started to leak. Back on lift adjusted to no leaks then weeks later again same problem. I am sick of it. Just looking for ideas. Mine was to install flex pipes in ORY to reduce the stress.. Good or bad idea? Or maybe even solid motor mounts. Or weld all seams then probably break header bolts at heads. Just looking for some advise Thanks
Old 02-02-2010, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After 4 different exhaust setups and 2 sets of headers, I had everything welded up except at the header flange, it's still slip on. I used exhaust tape and aluminum foil at the slip connection. No leaks for me.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea .. Mine leaks a little right now also but I think i am going to go get everything welded. That should just solve the problem. I would take it to an exhaust shop and maybe see what they can do? just an idea
Old 02-03-2010, 07:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the shop put two tack welds on the joints to keep it from moving and used permatex muffler & tailpipe sealer to seal up any small leaks. Surprisingly the sealer worked. By tack welding instead of welding solid you can still take it apart without destroying it and if you're worried about the twist breaking the header bolts, it will break the tack welds first. Also used the stepped band clamps to keep the joints tight without distorting them.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

so u guys wouldnt go with the flex pipes. I am definitly going to go to a good muffler shop nearby for the work and see what they think also. just wanted to see other peoples setups or opinions thanks for the replys though guys. it helped out