General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

EGR Code P1404--I have questions about EGR Delete and other options!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR Code P1404--I have questions about EGR Delete and other options!

I have a 3800 V6 engine with 130k miles. My SES light came on, scanned the code and got p1404, EGR stuck closed or open or whatever bla bla bla. My question is, I have been researching the forums and people say the EGR does nothing for your car, so they do EGR Valve deletes. What does this entail exactly, I need everything broken down on instructions of how to do this please!! I will try cleaning it first but I am interested in knowing about the delete. Also, by getting rid of the EGR will my gas mileage or any other things be effected? Or is it true that the EGR is entirely pointless?

Also, about the code P1404, is there any other factors I should be considering that may be the problem?

And does anyone on here have an EGR I can buy that will fit the 3800 V6?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stuck valve might be dirty, but probably need replacement.

Car will run perfectly without EGR. But if it's disabled, it will throw codes unless they are tuned out.

Purpose of EGR is for emissions only, by recycling some exhaust gas into the intake. Works very well for that purpose.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, understood. So how do I disable it, because a new one cost $130. If I can disable it easily and save a ton of money I dont care about passing emissions, I live in Florida, there are no emissions tests here.

Quick Reply: EGR Code P1404--I have questions about EGR Delete and other options!