Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sweet Thunders

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sweet Thunders

I was wondering if Sweet thunders will be too loud for my set up as a weekend cruiser/fun car. I dont mind idle and WOT loudness i just want to be able to cruise around with it and not being to loud to where i cant enjoy it. The engine im putting in is a 406 (est. 550HP) SBC with a pretty big cam attactched to a manual tranny. Exhaust layout is LT headers X pipe true duals and i plan on dumping the exhaust at the axle. If you need anymore info just tell me.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too loud is always subjective to the person/people in the car.

What are you asking about for volume? In the cabin? outside the car? You running cats? Any setup with a cam, LT headers, x pipe, no cats, and race muffs will be, generally speaking very loud.

From what Ive heard, dumping at the axles will make it louder in the car.

I have no exhaust experience with LS1 cars, but do have some with other platforms. I would ALWAYS run a hi-flow cat. Keeps the car clean, smells better, and keeps the sound more crisp and deep.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I bought a pair of sweet thunder 69 vette sidepipes for my LSX swap project. The OEM 69 sidepipes were WAY too loud and raspy for my tastes, so bad I added a short glasspack in front of them.
I bought the sweet thunders for my 6.0, they lived up to their name. I got rid of the added glasspacks, and couldn't be happier with them. Adequate rumble at idle to live up to the "sidepipe look". Highway running gives a nice sound, as opposed to the respy growl the OEMs had. These are sidepipes on a vette, exhaust exits about 3' below my left ear. Rear exhaust shouldn't be a problem.
Quality was very good too.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my 99 z28 i have LT's into a catless x pipe with true duals dumped before the axles with powersticks, almost the same thing as sweet thunders and i daly drive my car but its pretty loud from every aspect but thats how i like it so it doesnt bother me...
Old 02-03-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

man, i really wanna ditch my magnaflow for some sweet thunders. i am just concerned with ground clearance. my cam isnt a very large cam at all so i hope it doesnt become obnoxious. i hear the dynomax bullets are the loudest.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Too loud is always subjective to the person/people in the car.

What are you asking about for volume? In the cabin? outside the car? You running cats? Any setup with a cam, LT headers, x pipe, no cats, and race muffs will be, generally speaking very loud.

From what Ive heard, dumping at the axles will make it louder in the car.

I have no exhaust experience with LS1 cars, but do have some with other platforms. I would ALWAYS run a hi-flow cat. Keeps the car clean, smells better, and keeps the sound more crisp and deep.
Well i dont care how loud it is in general the only thing im concerned about is cruising in cabin noise. If its not to bad to where it drones like flowmaster 40s originals(dronemasters) then im all good.. And i probably if im going to run cats or not.. probably not though..