Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trans rebuild gear question/help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans rebuild gear question/help

While removing the 5-6 driven gear, i accidentally chipped/broke a small portion on the top gear. I chipped of a small part of one gear tooth and broke off a part of another. Now my question is will i be able to run this to get me by for a while? Or will it just cause me more harm then good running it. I know I need to replace it but would like to get by with it for a little while. the big part that is broke off is probably 1/4-3/8 of an inch long, and the smaller piece is maybe 1/8 of an inch.

thanks for the help
Old 02-03-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by strkt_&_blwn
While removing the 5-6 driven gear, i accidentally chipped/broke a small portion on the top gear. I chipped of a small part of one gear tooth and broke off a part of another. Now my question is will i be able to run this to get me by for a while? Or will it just cause me more harm then good running it. I know I need to replace it but would like to get by with it for a little while. the big part that is broke off is probably 1/4-3/8 of an inch long, and the smaller piece is maybe 1/8 of an inch.

thanks for the help
You will need to replace the gear. Do not run gears with broken teeth, you will damage the gears on the countershaft. Even the smallest chip will make it sound like the trans is going to come apart.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

hmm I just finished rebuilding mine works great! Can you take a good picture of them? I nicked my second gear, and repaired it. as long as the chip doesn't extend into the contact area (the middle of the tooth) you should be ok, 1/4 to 3/8 sounds like to much, but I would like to sea a picture of it. If it isn't into the contact area then you can blend it in with a high speed dremel, or die grinder with a 3M red "cookie" cutter disk.. and yes that is the proper name for it! remove a little of the surrounding area as possible, don't leave any sharp edges, or it will definitely brake all the way off with a disaster to the rest of the transmission!

another hint if your "dogs" on the gears (the part were the synchro sleave slides onto) don't come to a sharp point you will have a harder time shifting, if you take and sharpen them to a point with the 3m cookie cutter, they will slide in like butter. I only did this to my second gear because it was grinding and had badly rounded of the dogs, it know works like butter, and doesn't jump out of gear. This doesn't have to be 100% perfect, and should only take about 20 min. a gear.

also check out this write up https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-write-up.html

do you have a manual? They are available free on the net, just search for it. I really enjoyed the rebuilding process, I replaced all the bearings sychro blocking rings, and 2-3
synchro assembly.

feel free to ask any questions! -Jamie
Old 02-03-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Jamie how bad were the 2nd gear dogs rounded? Did u snap any pics? I have the same problem with my 2nd gear all the rest look great. I had posted in the thread with the rebuild writeup. I'd like to do this with mine and spend the money someplace else I think a new gear is over $100 thank man
Old 02-03-2010, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

check out the LS1 right up I just added a pic there showing where to sharpen the dogs. This is where the gear ware is.. the painted spot. unfortunately the picture I took of second didn't turn out, it was pretty rounded though, I thought it was shot, I took it to a transmission shop, and he told me to sharpen it. as long as the dogs aren't broken off you should be fine to just sharpen them. Unless your transmission was slipping out of second, I would just sharpen them. When the transmission slips out of gear the top of the dogs and sides are baldy worn, and will need to be replaced, the portion you can sharpen is called the face or front of the dog.

FYI mine would never go into second without grinding violently, unless the car was shut of shifted into second, then started up, I could take off in second, and shift to third no problem. I found no teeth on the 1-2 syncrho sleeve, and the carbon liner on 2nd blocker ring was missing on over half of it, plus the dogs were badly round off on the face. I sharpened the dogs, replaced the 1-2 sychro assembly (110.00 from The gear box.com) and it works great.

I am still worried about your 5/6 th gear though 3/8 seems like allot can you take a picture of it? Or take it to a decant transmission shop? For an opinion, a case of beer, can go along ways at a decant shop! Try and find one that specializes in manual transmissions, and rear ends, the automatic guys, are less likely to know stuff about gears.

how was all your other gears shifting before? How did the 2nd gear blocker ring look, was the lining mission on yours as well?

maybe you can help me out? I rebuilt the transmission, and it was the thing I was most worried about, ha ha it works great! The clutch doesn't! I bent the clutch disk when I reinstalled the transmission, I can't seem to get the engine to lean back far enough to get a straight shot on sliding the tranny back in, i have no jack or stand under the engine it just hangs there? Is the exhaust holding ti up? did you remove or loosen your exhaust?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Banned

I've had a lot of units come in with chipped teeth on the gear. You could tell it had been like that since the last rebuild and nothing happend from running it like that. With that said, there is no guarantee that you will be a lucky. If you have the cash, replace it. If not, try to clean up the area thats chipped with a small grinder to knock off any high edges and re-use it.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Thank you for the input everyone, it's much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Trans rebuild gear question/help