Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

new front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new front speakers

I just bought a 2001 camaro ss and the front speaker is rattling so I researched and found I need to get 2 ohm speakers I found some they are jbl p662 i got my door panel off and saw the factory speakers have seperate wires for the tweeter and speaker and the new ones only have one set for positive and negative ive done some research and seen lots of different ways to do it ive read where u can splice the wires on the new speaker to seperate the tweeter and speaker and rewire and ive also read where you can just take the old wires and take the positive and negative wires and put them together and plug both into the new speaker positive and negative ones I was wondering if anyone could help me do this the easiest way possible and still sound right
Attached Thumbnails new front speakers-p662.jpg  
Old 02-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Best idea... take back the speakers you got and get the proper ones. Kee Audio (sponsor here) has speakers to replace OEM in various price ranges.

If you really want to keep those speakers, you can either split the elements so that the tweeters can be wired separately or you can connect only the original mid wires leaving the tweeter wires disconnected. DO NOT connect both sets of wires to one pair of terminals unless you want to let all the smoke out of the Monsoon amp when you turn up the volume.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:55 AM

what would happen if i just left the tweeter wires disconnected and hooked the original mid wires to the connecter provieded by jbl.. how much would i be losing by doing this???
Old 02-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Theoretically, you would be losing one of the two channels in each door (50% of the power or about 3dB volume). In practice, you'll possibly notice some reduction in treble response but no real loss of volume.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:41 AM

i plugged in the wires and turned it on didnt really notice to much other than doesnt seem like there is as much bass as there was before
Old 02-09-2010, 12:02 PM

but at the same time i didnt have the door panel on so that might of effected the bass as well not having the panel on to carry the bass thru the whole door