Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exhaust to get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exhaust to get?

I am looking into buying an exhaust for my ls1 camaro. I need some suggestions on best sound and biggest hp increases. I have heard SLP, Borla, and Flowmaster??? Any suggestions? (I will be using a X-Pipe)
Old 02-08-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

um...and xpipe is for true duals

thre are only a few companies that make pre-fabbed true duals for the fbody. and most of them still require some tweaking.

what's the rest of your exhaust? headers? cats?
is the car lowered?

with my cammed engine, i LOVE the sound of my LTs, 3" Xpipe (no cats) into Magnaflow 4x9 mufflers dumped.

i'm lowered ~1" and have ~2.5" of clearance under the mufflers...which isn't much
Old 02-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Teching In

car is lowered 1.25" .... I bought the car as a project and it came with no exhaust what so ever, no cats, no headers, nothing. But I have a set of hooker headers that i might use. just want a nice deep sound (no popping and cracking) Buddy of mine has slp on his mustang and i love the sound but thats a completely different world
Old 02-08-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Yeah. I'm a bit confused on the "X-pipe" comment, as well.

Did you mean to say Y-pipe?

Are you looking to upgrade your entire exhaust system? This would include Longtube Headers, Aftermarket Y-pipe, & Catback System. Or if you are planning to run True Duals, Longtubes, X-pipe and a set of bullet mufflers.

Or are you simply looking to ditch the factory catback and find a nice sounding aftermarket system to mate to the factory manifolds and Y-pipe?

Once you answer these questions, you'll be bombarded with peoples opinions and have endless options to choose from.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by devlin215
car is lowered 1.25" .... I bought the car as a project and it came with no exhaust what so ever, no cats, no headers, nothing. But I have a set of hooker headers that i might use. just want a nice deep sound (no popping and cracking) Buddy of mine has slp on his mustang and i love the sound but thats a completely different world
Questions answered.

I would definitely install the set of Hooker LT's, but since you're planning on a True Dual System, that's about all the advice I can offer.

I don't have any experience with TD's.

Good luck, man.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Yeah. I'm a bit confused on the "X-pipe" comment, as well.

Did you mean to say Y-pipe?

Are you looking to upgrade your entire exhaust system? This would include Longtube Headers, Aftermarket Y-pipe, & Catback System. Or if you are planning to run True Duals, Longtubes, X-pipe and a set of bullet mufflers.

Or are you simply looking to ditch the factory catback and find a nice sounding aftermarket system to mate to the factory manifolds and Y-pipe?

Once you answer these questions, you'll be bombarded with peoples opinions and have endless options to choose from.
Yes sorry i meant Y- Pipe I didnt even realize i said X until just now. I have both X and Y pipes but i will be using the Y pipe and yes im looking to upgrade my whole exhaust system headers, y-pipe, and cat back system. All i am looking for is suggestions on the Cat-Back system
Old 02-08-2010, 02:04 PM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

i would run the headers back to the texas speed x pipe with bullets dumped...the whole xpipe kit is 424....thats less than your gonna get a ory and catback for and its gonna give you more HP and 99% of people say it sounds better....just my .02
Old 02-08-2010, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

If you are not looking to get a brand new system and you want a cat-back. I have a Borla minus tips with e-cutout that I can hook you up with. If you are interested just PM me.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Yes sorry i meant Y- Pipe I didnt even realize i said X until just now. I have both X and Y pipes but i will be using the Y pipe and yes im looking to upgrade my whole exhaust system headers, y-pipe, and cat back system. All i am looking for is suggestions on the Cat-Back system
Cool. Now were on the same page.

Like I said, you're gonna get a million opinions, and exhaust is matter of taste, so really its up to you. Quiet to one person may be beauty to another as well as obnoxious loud to some may be music to another's ears.

Magnaflow Catback seems to a happy medium between the quiet and loud aspect of exhaust notes. A friend and I installed LT's/ORY and Magnaflow on his Z28 and it sounds great. Very nice quiet tone at idle and the real muscle car sound at part and wide open throttle.

I have SLP's Loudmouth Catback matched to LTs and a catted Y-pipe on my 99 Firebird and its ******' loud. It has some rasp to it when I get on the throttle but not too much for my taste.

Then my brother has a 35th Ann. SS that he ordered with the optional SLP Dual/Dual Catback. It's pretty quiet and remained so even after we added LTs and an ORY.

If you'd like to hear each of these cars, check out YouTube and search for Cottonwood121. I have videos posted of each car.

You can also check out ls1sounds.com. That site has a bunch of combinations to choose from.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

u could run a slowmaster if u like the sound since that was listed as one of yuor choices, but i recommend a cutout with a slowmaster
Old 02-08-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pacesetter LT are the way to go. Fit is great and easy to install. Go with there Y pipe and hooker catback. Great sounding exhaust and makes good power. Buddy of mine has a ls2 gto and with headers and exhaust only made 360rwhp. Not bad, all for under a grand (tuning included)
Old 02-08-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by ws6fitz
Pacesetter LT are the way to go. Fit is great and easy to install. Go with there Y pipe and hooker catback. Great sounding exhaust and makes good power. Buddy of mine has a ls2 gto and with headers and exhaust only made 360rwhp. Not bad, all for under a grand (tuning included)
The OP has a set of Hooker Headers. They fit just well as Pacesetter or any other name brand of header.

Also, I would steer away from Pacesetter's Y-pipe (shitty merge) especially when you can get an ORY with the Flowmaster Merge from Texas Speed for the same price. It should bolt right up to the Hooker Headers without a problem.

I agree, the Hooker Catbacks that I've heard do sound great. I'm sure the OP would be more than satisfied with it.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Keep the hooker headers, add a TSP catted y-pipe, & add a
GMMG catback exhaust.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

I just put Corsa on my car yesterday, I love it. I went from stock exhaust to having the muffler cut off for about 5 years, then finally able to get a Corsa. The Corsa quieted it down a bit but sounds really nice IMO.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:52 PM
Teching In

id go with a magna flow..
i have a cut out and magnaflow comeing off my 1 7/8th headers and with the cutout open i only picked up 10 rwhp compared to it going out the full exhaust and it has a deeper sound to it.. but all and all its your own preference on sound..
Old 02-09-2010, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

If you don't want popping and cracking, I'd suggest a custom fabbed true duals system, with some high flow cats, and actual mufflers (Borla XR1's, 2 chamber Flows, Magnaflows, etc.), and take it under the axle to out back. From all that I've seen and heard, it's nearly impossible to get rid of rasp with a Y-pipe, and I still have some with my 3" O/R H pipe, and single chamber mufflers.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you 100% Dead Set on using a Cat-Back? How much are you wanting to spend? Also, which do you like best... the Quiet "sleeper" sound or Loud & Obnoxious??? Answering these will help you get a better idea of what your looking for also.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

A straight through design(Loudmouth/Rumbler) or true duals will give you the most power, they'll also be very loud...I felt a definate sotp gain from a LM1 over just a dynomax muffler even though some say they dont w/ a catback.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by InsaneDomestics
Are you 100% Dead Set on using a Cat-Back? How much are you wanting to spend? Also, which do you like best... the Quiet "sleeper" sound or Loud & Obnoxious??? Answering these will help you get a better idea of what your looking for also.
Yes i am 100% set on using a Cat-Back, I really dont have a set budget what ever sounds the best i will purchase, I dont want it quiet but i dont want it to be obnoxiously loud to where i get tickets but something that has that deep muscle car sound. And i do have TSP's MS3 cam so i want something that will sound good at idle with that. Loving the input guys! Thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Here's a little sounds clip of my car with stock manifolds/Y-pipe with Corsa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM9QM...layer_embedded