Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pulley issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pulley issue

So I blew my PS pump and I managed to get the pulley off no problem. Im having an issue getting it back on. I bought the tool from NAPA, it has a bolt you thread into the pump and a bushing with a nut on it. Based on what ive seen I should just be able to thread the bolt in and then tighten the nut. Heres the issue, the pulley is moving. I had 2 of my roommates holding the pulley while I was tightening it and its still barely moving. It looks like I have an 1/8" left. Should I just get a bolt and some washers and impact it on the rest of the way??
Old 02-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The install tool from Snap On has a place to hold the pulley from turning and it has a torrington bearing that rests on the flange. It takes 2 seconds to remove and install with the proper tools. Remember most all the new pulleys are plastic and can stress crack. If you stess crack the pulley you will find out the first couple of high RPM shifts. The pulley will shatter into a hundres pieces. Always use the proper tools. Hope this helps Tom
Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive exhausted my options at this point. I think Im going to shave down the bolt that goes into the pump and then impact the nut on.