New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start of a swap/build

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start of a swap/build

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum so bare with me if i dont follow posting rules or if I use incorrect terms referencing parts. I am new to ls1's but not new to automotive repair/fabrication. I was a mastertech for 5 years before my military career started.

Back on track.. I am starting a build. I picked up a 1990 300zx.. for $400, and promptly sold the engine from it for $400.. the n/a 3.0 is a heavy turd anyway , My plan was to use the same engine that I have in my silverado (5.3L vortec). Find one, mate it with a manual trans and do some fun cutting and welding. Well now I have the car stripped down, and a 5.3L with all accessories (which im switching to camaro/firebird accessories because of placement and hood clearance. and a factory wire harness and PCM. My question now, is what manual transmission to use, without spending boat loads of money, but still having reliability for the 300-400 hp range. I have been searching forums to see if anyone has mated a manual trans with a 5.3, but havent had much luck. SO ... I need some help from anyone who would like to offer up an opinion or some experience. With a little luck and finding the right parts it could be a very neat car.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

This may be of some help? Maybe get in touch with this guy...cool build.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/he...arning-287380/
Old 02-17-2010, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

Here's another guy putting a 5.3 with t56 in a 1st gen camaro.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3802714