Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Rebuild S.O.S

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 Rebuild S.O.S

I recently pulled my T-56 apart and replaced the 3-4 sync, and 3-4 blocker ring. I got everything back together and I couldn't get it to go in any gear, and the input shaft was froze. So I thought I accidently messed getting the shifter rail held in the proper position. so i pulled the front cover off to inspect, everything was in order as far as the shifter rail. but after I removed the cover the input shaft freed up, I thought I must have staightened out the rail problem when I pulled it apart. When i put the cover back on the input shaft got really stiff again, I have it tight and it still turns but just barely. I can shift through the gears nicely though. Do i need to reshim everything if I didn't replace the bearings? Or am I just missing something else? I don't have any fluid in it yet, and when i turn the shaft it feels kind of knotchy (for lack of a better term). I really feels like the bearings are too tight.

thanks in advace for your help and time.

Last edited by strkt_&_blwn; 02-18-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Banned

When you disassembled the trans, the 3-4 synchro and the 3-4 blockers were the only thing you replaced? If so, you really don't need to reshim the trans unless the input shaft has some play in it. Also, when you had the input shaft in the front cover and the main shaft with gears (1-3) on top of it, did the gears (1-3) spin freely on the main shaft? There might be a possibility that one of the blocking ring is not installed correctly. If you look at this picture of the blocking rings, there's an indentation where the 3 synchro keys will fit into.

If you have it apart, check to make sure the gears spin on the main shaft freely. Post your results here and I can help you.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Banned

The 4th gear syncro ring was sticking on the cone of the input shaft. Put a little grease on it and it will be fine.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope i can put mine back together now
Old 02-20-2010, 05:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Did you put any kind of shims into it?