Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano's top brake kit, or Baer GTs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strano's top brake kit, or Baer GTs?

So I'm about to finish the last of the suspension upgrades (all courtesy sam's wonderful store and soon his help), and the next thing that needs to be done is the brakes.

I'm considering two separate possibilities:

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2422 (Baer GT front brake kit, and then upgrade the rears with ATE blanks and good pads from sam),

or:

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=92&ModelID=8 - ATE rotors for front/rear, HPS pads, new stainless lines, fluid.

The car is a pure weekend warrior - some street, going to do a few Auto-X this year, and possibly a track day if I can find one I can make it to. Tires are NT05 on all 4 corners, on 17x9.5 wheels. Full strano suspension (watts linkage, koni 4/4, strano springs, strano sway bars). Bolt on engine parts - lid, magnaflow, soon ARH headers with catted y, but no internal work at all.

I know Sam's brake kit is great - I'm curious if there is any improvement for what I'd be doing that would warrant the Baer parts for the front (other than looks)?
Old 02-19-2010, 01:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Ahhh, fwiw... look at the Baer Calipers. Look familiar? That's because the F-body and Corvette both use PBR calipers already. So for $1000 you get 13" rotors that are slotted (fine) and drilled (not so fine).

I could set you up with a C5 conversion for way less (C5 rotors are 12.8", which most would round up to 13"). ATE has rotors for them too--then you get a matching set of rotors, the bigger brakes, the stiffer C5 caliper... and I'm doing math in my head and it's going to work out cheaper if we do a C5 conversion w/ATE Rotors all around and Hawk pads all around.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-19-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

Sonofa! Totally didn't notice that, but now that you mention it, you're right - those are REALLY familiar. I should know better... just call Sam or UMI/BMR for everything I need in this forum >_<

I wasn't fond of the drilled rotors, but I figured if they went south I'd get replacements that were not drilled (I was pretty sure Baer would sell them).

Is the C5 conversion all 4, or just fronts? And as petty / silly as it would seem, how hard is it to get C5 calipers in something other than plain gray?
Old 02-19-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

"In Sam we trust" - he is great and knows his stuff and has superior service. He is the source for many of the parts on my car. If you are really wanting a big break kit check out the new Baer T4 kit. I got this kit as a gift, installed it and it works very well.

http://www.baer.com/products/complete/track4.php
Old 02-19-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd just go with the Strano kit.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Agreed - can't go wrong with Sam...

Quick Reply: Strano's top brake kit, or Baer GTs?