Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "which" wideband question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Another "which" wideband question

I'm in the market to get a wideband and I've tried to put off posting up another thread on the subject, lol, as it seems to have been asked over and over. But, I've got an itching mouse trigger and I'm ready to finally buy one of these things. Here's where I'm at:

I've got HPTuners Pro. I don't really care if I get a cabin gauge out of it or not, but from what I've found it doesn't seem to add that much more to the cost. My main intention is to tune with it using HPT.

I daily drive my car, to the tune of 30 to 60 miles a day, and I like things that will last (like my S60). I'd prefer to not get trapped into the "10 bolt" of widebands if I can avoid it, where I have to be constantly working on it or replacing stuff.

Three widebands seem to be within the price range that I've gotten the wife stamp of approval on:

-NGK NTK
-AEM 6-in-1 UEGO
-and of course the LC-1

I've read so many things that I'm getting a little confused. I've read the article where they compared several widebands... so now I've atleast been schooled on how they work, but I still feel like it was a little skewed. I understand that they can all work well under lab conditions, I'm more concerned about getting one that will last as long as my stock narrowbands did... nearly forever. Okay, I'd settle for like 20k mile replacement, but if it's like every other oil change then no way.

Having not ever owned a wideband I'm just a little concerned that I'll overlook the "calibration" aspect of the LC1, or the NTK sensor with the NGK, or the ease of installation with the AEM.

I was about to buy an LC1 until I started reading posts about how you need an advanced degree in electrical science just to install the thing... and if you want to hook it up like a narrowband then it's even more complicated. Some sponsors don't even carry them anymore because of the headaches. Also, several threads seem to tip toward AEM, while others point to the NGK with NTK sensor.

I'm freakin confused They're all within about $60. I just want to get it once, and be happy.

HELP! I've got to make a decision soon or the wife window might disapear, lol.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:49 AM
I need a gauge for that

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a plx and you dont need to calibrate, ever. It has worked well for me so far. Ive had it about 2.5 years.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have a PLX for about same time but i think the sensor is staring to go out and i am looking for a new one also.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The three you listed are widely used and have their advantages and disadvantages,
2 have serial output, 2 have built in gauges, 1 has the ability to infinitely change the output slope with proprietary logging software
and 1 can be used with Bosch & NGK O2 sensors.
The LC-1 is no more difficult to install than the others.

Stay away from any WBO2 that does not at least give the Lambda/AFR slope or have analog output for logging.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on an NGK unit. I think I'm going to rock the Bosch sensor at first, and when/if it dies I will then upgrade to the NTK. The NGK is a little more than I had wanted to spend initially, but it suposedly exports fine to HPTuners and gives me the option to upgrade later on. I don't think I really care that it doesnt come with any software because I plan on using HP Tuners... unless there was some other benefit of a software package like what comes with the LC1

I'm going to do a little more research and hopefully pull the trigger soon... like maybe tonight!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

I got the NGK with regular sensor. Anyone have a clue if its easy to hook it up in the narrowband location? If its a pain... (like pinning the ECU), then its cutting/welding time for me... which I like doing anyway...