Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C6Z06 Drag racing-what rear tire shorter/taller w/stock gears?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6Z06 Drag racing-what rear tire shorter/taller w/stock gears?

I'm curious what peoples actual experience is with running a taller or shorter rear drag tire radial/biasply on a C6Z06 only? I'm thinking of running a 16in drag radial (yes converting rear brakes only to do so) on the back of my 2008 C6Z06 to reduce the gear ratio enough to get a better 60ft and get the car in 4th gear sooner hopefully resulting in a better ET/MPH. However I do see alot higher HP guys 550rwhp plus with good clutches running a nearly 28in tall tire to keep themselves in 3rd gear longer. I dont "THINK" I can do this due to trying to do this with the stock clutch in the car. If i had a aftermarket clutch I could launch the car harder to keep the RPM's up to overcome the gear ratio and achieve a decent 60ft. The stock tire is approx 26.70in tall. If I were to drop down to a Hoosier drag radial 255/50/16 would be 25.80in tall. Maybe I run into not enough contact patch for traction with this scenario. I like the idea of less weight aswell with the smaller tire. Less rotating mass is always a help. I can try a ET steet bias ply 26x11.5x16 thats 26.20in tall but swells as you go down the track to my guess is 26.50in tall on the big end of the track. I would prefer a radial for stability and greater MPH/less rolling resistance. Thanks for any real input anyone has on this.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stock suspension?

My car has lots of road racing mods but if I adjust my suspension correctly, I can get nasty launch with a NT05 tire at full heat.

The RPS clutch is going in soon, we will see what happens after that!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stock suspension Silverado. What RPS are you going with? Better read up if you're not going with the BC2 apparently theres some minor clutch fluid smoking issues with the others. Take a look in the C6Z06 section of corvette forum.

Quick Reply: C6Z06 Drag racing-what rear tire shorter/taller w/stock gears?